HD0 = Vista, HD1 = OSX. Anyone got working?

12 posts in this topic

Hi guys, i spent the whole day yesterday trying to get this set up working with no luck.

Most of the threads that i come across with people asking about this set-up usually unfortunately have no replies.

So i have Vista installed on HD0, i then formatted my second drive and successfully installed OSX to it.

The problem i am having is i can not get OSX to boot. Has anyone else got this set up working?

If so, could you post the BCD print out so i can see where i should be going?

So far mine looks like this, none that are working yet..

There are a total of 5 entries listed in the Vista Bootloader.

Bootloader Timeout: 30 seconds.

Default OS: Microsoft Windows Vista

Entry #1

Name: Microsoft Windows Vista

BCD ID: {current}

Drive: C:\

Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Windows Directory: \Windows

[bOOTS FINE]

Entry #2

Name: NST Mac OS X

BCD ID: {ba475759-b0ae-11dd-ac06-0015af0b9957}

Drive: Deleted Partition

Bootloader Path: \boot.ini

[NOT WORKING]

Entry #3

Name: NST Mac OS X2

BCD ID: {ba47575a-b0ae-11dd-ac06-0015af0b9957}

Bootloader Path: \boot.ini

[NOT WORKING, WHEN SELECTED MAKES INTERNAL SPEAKER BEEP LIKE CRAZY AND HANGS]

Entry #4

Name: NST Mac OS X3

BCD ID: {ba47575d-b0ae-11dd-ac06-0015af0b9957}

Bootloader Path: \chain0

[CHAIN BOOT ERROR]

Entry #5

Name: NST Mac OS X4

BCD ID: {ba47575e-b0ae-11dd-ac06-0015af0b9957}

Drive: F:\

Bootloader Path: \chain0

[NOT WORKING]

boot.ini (C:/)

[boot loader]

timeout=0

default=C:\chain0

[operating systems]

C:\chain0

chain0 also present in C:/

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Hi there, thanks for the reply. That is what i meant yes.

I changed the boot order of my hard drives to HD1 but it did not work either, it just froze on a black screen where the boot loader usually comes in when HD0 is active boot.

You can try madnoh's solution with EasyBCD.

Also, make sure your Mac OS partition is a primary partition, and has a partition number of 1 or 2. Mac won't boot with on a partition with a number greater than 2.

I experienced this a few times. I used PartitionMagic to resize the extended partition and create a new partition for Mac. Although the new primary partition is at the front, but the partition number was 3. Fixed the problem when I changed the number to reflect real position on disk (using Ranish Partition Manager).

@madnoh yeah, i have tried that, the impression i got from other threads was that EasyBCD works with single drive duel partitions.

I certainly had no luck with it so far anyway, the prints above are a result of combining EasyBCD and Vistas BCDedit with some settings found on various tutorials.

Did you use 2 drives or single drive with 2 partitions?

@quetzalcoat2435 i will check now to see what partition number it is.

That's the simulation version of Ranish Partition Manager. It doesn't return the number in "Row".

You have to run Ranish Partition Manager in DOS with a boot disk/boot cd.

It would look like this:

post-259458-1233237018_thumb.gif

The number in "Row" should be in the right order, like in the picture (1-2-3).

On another note, from your diskpart screenshot, I see that you have 3 physical drives, and you only have a single partition on each drive?

[Edit] Have you tried setting the partition on disk1 as active, and then set the BIOS to boot from disk1?

why don't you try the easiest way to do that? i put my pic of my system ... you can see there's too easy to do..... :P just make sure Vista running in HDD0 in the 1st partition, and then Mac OS X in HDD1 .....

my-drives-partitions.gif

or you can read lots of dual boot configurations here.

Thanks guys,

@Wayang-NT: I have seen the tri-boot config quite a lot, isn't XP essential for the setup because Vista doesn't use boot.ini I dont want to have to install XP too if possible.

@quetzalcoatl2435: yes, i have 3 drives, each with 1 partition. 1) Vista, 2) OSX (Used to be linux), 3) External for storage.

Well i set my second hd to active again just to be sure using diskpart, set it to boot in the bios and it froze on a black screen like before.

I don't have a floppy drive so dont think i can use that PartManager without a lot of messing about.

partitions.jpg

Thanks guys,

@Wayang-NT: I have seen the tri-boot config quite a lot, isn't XP essential for the setup because Vista doesn't use boot.ini I dont want to have to install XP too if possible.

@quetzalcoatl2435: yes, i have 3 drives, each with 1 partition. 1) Vista, 2) OSX (Used to be linux), 3) External for storage.

Well i set my second hd to active again just to be sure using diskpart, set it to boot in the bios and it froze on a black screen like before.

I don't have a floppy drive so dont think i can use that PartManager without a lot of messing about.

partitions.jpg

Well, the whole point with the Partition ID number is moot if you only have one partition per drive... Unless if it used to hold multiple partitions.

I have 4 physical hard drives, all with multiple partitions. I have Windows XP & Vista on 1 drive, and OS X on another drive. Beside the fact that I have to manually select my boot device whenever I want to run Windows, I have no problems with booting at all (neither Mac nor Windows).

Setting HD1 active and telling the BIOS to boot from HD1 is the same as installing Mac OS on a new empty system. If it doesn't boot, then it's very likely a problem with the bootloader. The fact that Vista is installed in another drive doesn't matter at all, because the Vista drive is not being used to boot.

If you can boot from the installation DVD, try installing a new bootloader.

Don't forget to set the attributes to 755, and owner to root:admin.

Well i set the second hd to main boot, i then totally reinstalled and rebooted. Get the same black screen. I must be overlooking something i should be doing. Very likely to be the case as i have hardly ventured outside the realms of windows. Thanks for your help guys, im going to go back to the beginning and try to see where i am going wrong.