OS X on HP TouchSmart tx2?

175 posts in this topic

The further you get from the screen, the less accurate the pen/touchscreen becomes. I have the ink option in my system preferences. Never really tried it, but sometimes I accidentally started the yellow notepad by touching the screen. I think that handwriting will work, but it will be at most an inch away from the actual stylus.

Thanks for your input.I guess it all comes down to video driver/resolution I guess. If I get one, i will post my experience.

- Jay

• 2 weeks later...

does the 10.5.7 update work w/out a hitch?

I want to know if the update works well before i risk crashing my system and losing the data...

Does everything work in 10.5.7? audio? wifi? power management?

thanks

I want to know if the update works well before i risk crashing my system and losing the data...

thanks

It worked fine for me. If you had audio, wifi, power managment, etc. installed before the update, they'll still be there. You should probably backup your files just in case, though. Btw, any updates on the graphics card?

thanks

Everything that worked prior to the update worked afterwards, nothing new in the gfx dept. Has anybody gotten the fingerprint reader to work?

hey ya'll. we may not need to change resolution to get accurate touch support.

I'm working with the touch base guys and we're getting a touch driver going for the tx2 in OSX... pretty nice guy.

The stylus, however, is not being recognized and probably will not be. AND... no multi touch. accurate single touch is in the works though.

p.s. 10.5.7 update went fine, however I lost my battery meter.

Also, does anybody have a reliable power management setup? please share if you do.

p.s. 10.5.7 update went fine, however I lost my battery meter.

Also, does anybody have a reliable power management setup? please share if you do.

I guess I didn't notice that when I installed 10.5.7. Thankfully, all I had to do was reinstall the same PowerManagement.bundle again. It looks like it's working now. Also, what do you mean by a reliable setup?

I guess I didn't notice that when I installed 10.5.7. Thankfully, all I had to do was reinstall the same PowerManagement.bundle again. It looks like it's working now. Also, what do you mean by a reliable setup?

I just mean a power management bundle that actually manages the power usage so we can get more than 1.5 hours of battery life on a full charge.

I don't actually have osx installed on my TX2 at the moment but if it's graphics resolution that is causing the biggest issue (calibration of touchscreen) coudln't you just do the following :-

At the Darwin prompt on bootup, tap F8 to get to the boot prompt

Enter "Graphics Mode"="1024x640x32" (with quotations, you can use whatever resolution you want)

IF that works then you can make it permenant by editing the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist file.

Just append <key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string> rite after the <string></string> tag

Let me know if that does anything

I don't actually have osx installed on my TX2 at the moment but if it's graphics resolution that is causing the biggest issue (calibration of touchscreen) coudln't you just do the following :-

At the Darwin prompt on bootup, tap F8 to get to the boot prompt

Enter "Graphics Mode"="1024x640x32" (with quotations, you can use whatever resolution you want)

IF that works then you can make it permenant by editing the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist file.

Just append <key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string> rite after the <string></string> tag

Let me know if that does anything

You can only do that for normal resolutions. For widescreen resolutions, you have to have a graphics card driver, which is what we're working on right now. For now, though, you should be able to get good graphics if you hook your laptop to a normal-resolution monitor.

How did you guys get 10.5.7 to install please? I tried installing it directly from Apple and it wont boot up anymore. Actually what happened is it will boot, then get stuck where the CAPS lock Num Lock lights keep blinking.

So, my questions are;

- How do I successfully upgrade to 10.5.7 from IDenb 1.4

- Is it really necessary to upgrade to 10.5.7 ( just because I don't want it to mess up my installation that took me a while to get working)

- Lastly, say the Upgrade does not go well ( As in my last 3 attempts), Is there a way to revert back? Just like in Windows System restore to a previous version etc.

Thanks guys, any help appreciated

Apple software updates almost never work with osx86, so as a general rule don't use them unless they are confirmed to work. It might not be working because you don't have a kernel specified. Try typing in "anv" without the quotes at the darwin boot prompt before you start OS X. If that doesn't work, you can reinstall iDeneb 1.4, and then install their 10.5.7 update here: iDeneb. If you wanted to go back in case something went wrong, just use Time Machine to backup your entire OS X partition to an external drive. You can then just wipe the partition and copy back your files. If you wanted to save space, you might be able to use disk utility to put it into a dmg file. As an alternative, you could also just re-install the system if you still have the disc.

Apple software updates almost never work with osx86, so as a general rule don't use them unless they are confirmed to work. It might not be working because you don't have a kernel specified. Try typing in "anv" without the quotes at the darwin boot prompt before you start OS X. If that doesn't work, you can reinstall iDeneb 1.4, and then install their 10.5.7 update here: iDeneb. If you wanted to go back in case something went wrong, just use Time Machine to backup your entire OS X partition to an external drive. You can then just wipe the partition and copy back your files. If you wanted to save space, you might be able to use disk utility to put it into a dmg file. As an alternative, you could also just re-install the system if you still have the disc.

Thanks a lot. I will try this and report back and let you know how it went :P

Update: Thanks. It worked great. Thanks for the bootup tip

Thanks a lot. I will try this and report back and let you know how it went :D

Update: Thanks. It worked great. Thanks for the bootup tip

Once you've actually booted, you can also go into osx86tools and put anv into the boot flags so that you don't have to type that every time you start up.

• 2 weeks later...
Once you've actually booted, you can also go into osx86tools and put anv into the boot flags so that you don't have to type that every time you start up.

I did try that, but it still does not help. Each time, I still have to type it in manually or it freezes. :)

• 2 weeks later...
any update in the ati hd 3200 graphics card support guys?

it's sad that photobooth and imovie dont work in this cool machine.. ;)

still nothing...

at this point it might be easier to mod these programs to bypass the qe/ci requirement, if that's even possible.

• 4 weeks later...

Ive tried installing this on my tx2-1025. I get it installed and everything, but I cannot get ethernet to work. On ideneb 1.4 i tried selecting broadcom 0 and 1 for ethernet. Can someone offer some advice or tell me what option they have used on 1.4? I cannot even get 1.3 to load up on the laptop. Just a kernal panic

I read all posts, my english not well, but i understand that we have linux driver, isn't it? So we need somebody who can port it to OSX, or find info to port driver from linux for OSX... I have working all on my notebook without video... Realy wont working video...

yes, we need someone to port over the linux driver - that's why i posted it.

I don't have a linux machine. I tried ubuntu on my AMD machine, it didn't go as well as I thought it would. So...

anyone w/ some experience wanna give that linux driver a go?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone:

Sorry for my poor english:

I've tried out a lot of solutions, to get the vga working, but wo any results.

I'm using IDeneb 1.6 (1.5.8), and i've still problems with the touchpad/keybord.

Could you please tell me witch kext i need to enable them?

thanks in advance.

Hoping someone can work on this. At the very least, it would be very nice to have 1280x800 instead of 1024x768. I've tried that 2400 series thing, adding my device/vendorID to the ATI kext-plist thing, and all it does is {censored} up my boot with kernel panics.

:<

yep, same to me!