[SOLVED] Windows works with "RAID ON" and MAC OS X with "Autodetect RAID/ATA"

12 posts in this topic

Hi,

I got a slight problem with the dual boot as mentioned in the topic title and description. I've tried every method including registry edit by microsoft and an other method but of no avail. Its annoying to change the settings in bios everytime I wanna use the other os. Its a dell bios v06 and my system specs are in the sig. My harddrive model is: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 750gb (ST3750640AS).

Also, is "RAID ON" in Dell bios the same as AHCI mode? If yes, so then MAC os x works without AHCI?

The system is perfect but the only problem is this bios issue/annoyance. If I can resolve this then my comp will be a perfect Hackintosh.

All suggestions are welcomed especially by those who were able to resolve the issue WITHOUT re-installing windows. Thanks.

Hi,

I got a slight problem with the dual boot as mentioned in the topic title and description. I've tried every method including registry edit by microsoft and an other method but of no avail. Its annoying to change the settings in bios everytime I wanna use the other os. Its a dell bios v06 and my system specs are in the sig. My harddrive model is: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 750gb (ST3750640AS).

Also, is "RAID ON" in Dell bios the same as AHCI mode? If yes, so then MAC os x works without AHCI?

The system is perfect but the only problem is this bios issue/annoyance. If I can resolve this then my comp will be a perfect Hackintosh.

All suggestions are welcomed especially by those who were able to resolve the issue WITHOUT re-installing windows. Thanks.

there isnt enough  usefull information in your post to help. i dont have a dell so am not sure what chipset your systems is based on. list your chipset info so we have a better idea what raid it is. what i know is mac likes AHCI but will work in ata too and not raid on intel ICH chipsets, windows works great on it but if windows is installed on a raid enabled chipset in the bios you have re-install/repair for it to work when you set it to AHCI in the bios after.

there isnt enough  usefull information in your post to help. i dont have a dell so am not sure what chipset your systems is based on. list your chipset info so we have a better idea what raid it is. what i know is mac likes AHCI but will work in ata too and not raid on intel ICH chipsets, windows works great on it but if windows is installed on a raid enabled chipset in the bios you have re-install/repair for it to work when you set it to AHCI in the bios after.

Oh, I'm sorry, I should have mentioned the chipset:

X38 Chipset (ICH9)

Btw, why dont I see any AHCI mode options in the bios? Thanks.

Try this kext (backup the original first) reboot, set RAID in bios, choose -f at darwin's boot options.

I installed the jmicronATA_jmb360 during installation. Once again, os x is working on ATA and not raid but windows isnt working on Raid Autodetect/ATA. :(

Oh, I'm sorry, I should have mentioned the chipset:

X38 Chipset (ICH9)

Btw, why dont I see any AHCI mode options in the bios? Thanks.

I installed the jmicronATA_jmb360 during installation. Once again, os x is working on ATA and not raid but windows isnt working on Raid Autodetect/ATA. :(

doesnt seem to have that option for just ahci, try talking to dell or searching in the forum on dell tutorials for other dell systems. that kext wouldnt help you since its the intel chipset you are running on. i recommend either stick with ata for both, keep switching or buy a cheap controller to use for mac so you dont have to do the switching.. try this one in the link below it less that 30 bucks but works

Rosewill RC-211 

Driver for Leopard

i wanted raid across the board so i went with a rocketraid 2640x4 sas card,, its about 160 but you get raid for mac and windows.

I really dont care about raid since I only have 1 drive and just wanna get windows vista to work with autodetect/ATA. I tried calling DELL but you know how they are. Its a software thing and not hardware related so we cant really help, etc. I called em like 3 times already.

Btw, whats the second link (software) does?

Also, isnt MAC OS X supposed to work on RAID ON because it is the same as AHCI mode?

Thanks.

I had an XPS410

Now I know it is only ICH8 but it might point you in the right direction!?

This is how I solved my problem.....

with "Autodetect RAID/ATA"(AHCI mode) setting in the BIOS I had the following Device/Vendor ID: 0x28218086

and with "RAID ON" in the BIOS I had the following Device/Vendor ID: 0x28228086

Check in Windows(RAID ON) what you Device/Vendor ID is and write it down, then change your BIOS and boot into MacOSX. Go to "About this Mac and see what description is given under Serial-ATA:

"my example"

Intel ICH8-R AHCI

and the Device/Vendor ID: 0x28218086

NOW, Locate the AppleAHCIPort.kext in your System/Library/Extensions,

Copy it to your desktop,

Open System/Library/Extensions /AppleAHCIPort.kext/contents/Info.plist on your desktop,

Search for "my example Intel ICH8-R AHCI", check to see if the Device/Vendor ID: 0x28218086 is the same as in your "About this Mac"?

ADD your Device/Vendor ID, you wrote down from Windows.

Save the Info.plist file, close everything and install with KextHelper

Here is an example of Mine:

<key>ICH8RAHCI</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort</string>

<key>Chipset Name</key>

<string>ICH8-R AHCI</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleAHCI</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x28218086 0x28228086</string> << I added this one for my RAID ON

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>2000</integer>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>Vendor Name</key>

<string>Intel</string>

</dict>

Hope this helps

SticMAC

Thanks a lot bud for putting this up. I however dont see that ICH9 vendor ID under Serial ATA in "System Profilier". I am attaching a screenshot of what I see. Also when I click on "ATA" it says no devices installed. Same with Hardware RAID. Thanks.

I checked the Vendor ID in windows and it turns out to be the same as you mentioned but I'm still gonna attach a screenshot just to be safe :(

post-356640-1233356671_thumb.png

post-356640-1233358088_thumb.jpg

Thanks a lot bud for putting this up. I however dont see that ICH9 vendor ID under Serial ATA in "System Profilier". I am attaching a screenshot of what I see. Also when I click on "ATA" it says no devices installed. Same with Hardware RAID. Thanks.

I checked the Vendor ID in windows and it turns out to be the same as you mentioned but I'm still gonna attach a screenshot just to be safe :)

you are using sata interfaces so your devices wont show up under ata unless you use ide and not raid unless you are using apple raid.

the kext he is talking about is located in \system\library\extentions\  its called AppleAHCIPort.kext , copy it to you desktop like he said. then right click and choose show package contents.and edit the plist file in there like he said. get the raid device id from windows and add it into your plist. also check around the forum, there are dell install packs and one of them might have an AppleAHCIPort.kext to sort out your issue