Leopard won't recognize Second (Tiger) Hard Disk (Kalyway 10.5.2/BadAxe2 Install)

philmcc

4 posts in this topic

First, thanks to Kalyway, and BJMoose and everyone else for being so great with helping others in the OSx86 community. If there was a tip jar for you guys, I would happily contribute.

Second, I tried my best to search both the forums, and google at large, to make sure that someone else hadn't already solved this problem. Searches for "Leopard Won't Recognize", "Dual boot tiger leopard", "Two Drives", etc, turned up nothing. So, I hope I am not infringing too much by asking.

The Brief Synopsis: Two Internal Drives (SATA), one with a Leopard install, one with Tiger.

If I boot to Tiger, it sees the Leopard disk, in addition to its own.

If I boot to Leopard, I ONLY see the Leopard disk.

What I have tried: Installing PC-EFIV.8 to the Leopard Disk.

The longer breakdown:

I had a Kalyway 10.4.1 install on my first disk, a 500gig Seagate SATA. I decided I needed a newer, bigger drive (1TB Western Digital Caviar Black), and I figured I'd go ahead and install Leopard (Kalyway 10.5.2) on it, since it would be a low-risk install.

So, I disconnected the Tiger drive, connected the blank drive, inserted the kalyway 10.5.2 DVD, and installed Tiger, following BJMoose's directions (GUID not MBR). Vanilla Install, NVidia, bingo.

The install went perfectly. So I connected my second (Tiger) drive, and booted up, and it booted the Tiger drive. I checked the BIOS to see if I could affect the boot order, and made sure that the Leopard drive was the first SATA in the "Chain". Still booted the Tiger drive.

Keep in mind, I could always see the second drive, but if I went into Settings and tried to select which drive for the Startup Disk, NEITHER drive showed up.

When the machine boots, I get the option to hit SPACEBAR and choose which drive to boot from. I can boot to either Tiger, or Leopard (which is kind of cool I guess), but I can't boot to LEOPARD and still see the Tiger disk. And it defaults to TIGER.

Some facts from Diskutility

TIGER DISK:

Device 1.

Partition Type: Fdisk_partition_scheme

Disk 0, partition, 0.

LEOPARD DISK:

Device 0

Partition Type: GUID_partition_scheme

Disk 1, Partition 0.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Phil

First, thanks to Kalyway, and BJMoose and everyone else for being so great with helping others in the OSx86 community. If there was a tip jar for you guys, I would happily contribute.

Second, I tried my best to search both the forums, and google at large, to make sure that someone else hadn't already solved this problem. Searches for "Leopard Won't Recognize", "Dual boot tiger leopard", "Two Drives", etc, turned up nothing. So, I hope I am not infringing too much by asking.

The Brief Synopsis: Two Internal Drives (SATA), one with a Leopard install, one with Tiger.

If I boot to Tiger, it sees the Leopard disk, in addition to its own.

If I boot to Leopard, I ONLY see the Leopard disk.

What I have tried: Installing PC-EFIV.8 to the Leopard Disk.

The longer breakdown:

I had a Kalyway 10.4.1 install on my first disk, a 500gig Seagate SATA. I decided I needed a newer, bigger drive (1TB Western Digital Caviar Black), and I figured I'd go ahead and install Leopard (Kalyway 10.5.2) on it, since it would be a low-risk install.

So, I disconnected the Tiger drive, connected the blank drive, inserted the kalyway 10.5.2 DVD, and installed Tiger, following BJMoose's directions (GUID not MBR). Vanilla Install, NVidia, bingo.

The install went perfectly. So I connected my second (Tiger) drive, and booted up, and it booted the Tiger drive. I checked the BIOS to see if I could affect the boot order, and made sure that the Leopard drive was the first SATA in the "Chain". Still booted the Tiger drive.

Keep in mind, I could always see the second drive, but if I went into Settings and tried to select which drive for the Startup Disk, NEITHER drive showed up.

When the machine boots, I get the option to hit SPACEBAR and choose which drive to boot from. I can boot to either Tiger, or Leopard (which is kind of cool I guess), but I can't boot to LEOPARD and still see the Tiger disk. And it defaults to TIGER.

Some facts from Diskutility

TIGER DISK:

Device 1.

Partition Type: Fdisk_partition_scheme

Disk 0, partition, 0.

LEOPARD DISK:

Device 0

Partition Type: GUID_partition_scheme

Disk 1, Partition 0.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Phil

By any chance in leopard are your hard drives orange in colour?

If so and if system profiler says unknown ahci rather than ich9 follow this guide

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=108479

Without doing so leopard only sees my first two satas, also if you have option to use 2 satas in native mode in bios I think you have to select it, but not sure. Hope this helps

Actually, no. The hard drives are gray in Leopard and Tiger.

I'm attaching screen captures from Disk Utility, when booted in LEOPARD

as you can see, it doesn't see the partitions of that drive, at all...

The second three shots are from within Tiger.

post-158418-1232145028_thumb.png

post-158418-1232145033.png

post-158418-1232145044_thumb.png

post-158418-1232145050_thumb.png

post-158418-1232145373_thumb.png

post-158418-1232145381_thumb.png

post-158418-1232145389_thumb.png

Actually, no. The hard drives are gray in Leopard and Tiger.

I'm attaching screen captures from Disk Utility, when booted in LEOPARD

as you can see, it doesn't see the partitions of that drive, at all...

The second three shots are from within Tiger.

bump.