After installation it hangs or forces me to reboot

pdana

9 posts in this topic

Hi all, this is my first post here.

I've been reading a lot, searching for a solution... but after trying different options for the last 2 days... here I am.

I just received my new computer:

MOBO: Intel DG31PR

HD 750GB W.DIGITAL 7200 SATAII 16

CPU E8500 CORE 2 D 3.16GHZ

2 MEM DDR2 2GB 800MHZ OCZ GOLD EDIT (4 GB Total)

VGA PCI-E 1GB GF8600GT XFX

GAB ATX SENTEY RJA-246C

As I read on the compatibility list, it should almost run OOTB... but

I finish the installation process with no problem, but then when I reboot, it shows me the apple logo, the little dots are spinning on the screen, and then it hangs: the dots stop spinning, and the display shows me the HD is quiet.

I tried disabling my GF8600GT, and then what happens is it loads the apple logo, the dots spin... and then it says: "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for..." in several languages.

I can't make it work neither with my GF8600GT nor with the onboard video... but then perhaps the problem isn't video related... don't really know...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi all, this is my first post here.

I've been reading a lot, searching for a solution... but after trying different options for the last 2 days... here I am.

I just received my new computer:

MOBO: Intel DG31PR

HD 750GB W.DIGITAL 7200 SATAII 16

CPU E8500 CORE 2 D 3.16GHZ

2 MEM DDR2 2GB 800MHZ OCZ GOLD EDIT (4 GB Total)

VGA PCI-E 1GB GF8600GT XFX

GAB ATX SENTEY RJA-246C

As I read on the compatibility list, it should almost run OOTB... but

I finish the installation process with no problem, but then when I reboot, it shows me the apple logo, the little dots are spinning on the screen, and then it hangs: the dots stop spinning, and the display shows me the HD is quiet.

I tried disabling my GF8600GT, and then what happens is it loads the apple logo, the dots spin... and then it says: "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button for..." in several languages.

I can't make it work neither with my GF8600GT nor with the onboard video... but then perhaps the problem isn't video related... don't really know...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Boot with -v -x -f at the boot prompt and report the error messages.......

Thanks a lot for your answer verdant.

I wrote down some of the errors I found.

display: family specific matching fails.

GFX0: family specific matching fails.

NVINJECT: Probing... it drops like 20 lines of NVINJECT without droping any errors...

Then "dsmos: starting" with no problems.

localhost fseventsd(33): event logs in /.fseventsd out of sync with volume.

dstouch: file was asked to be opened .DSIsRunning (file exists)

localhost mds(27): /.spotlight.......... (Error) IndexCI in ContentIndfexOpenBulk: No Index

fseventsd (33): log dir: /volumes/WXPOS Determining new UUID

fseventsd (33): log dir: /volumes/WXPDATA Determining new UUID

Then it hangs... WXPOS and WXPDATA are the two partitions I left aside for WXP, formated as FAT... (havent installed wxp there yet)

These are the error messages I get when I boot with the onboard video...

Thanks again.

Thanks a lot for your answer verdant.

I wrote down some of the errors I found.

display: family specific matching fails.

GFX0: family specific matching fails.

NVINJECT: Probing... it drops like 20 lines of NVINJECT without droping any errors...

Then "dsmos: starting" with no problems.

localhost fseventsd(33): event logs in /.fseventsd out of sync with volume.

dstouch: file was asked to be opened .DSIsRunning (file exists)

localhost mds(27): /.spotlight.......... (Error) IndexCI in ContentIndfexOpenBulk: No Index

fseventsd (33): log dir: /volumes/WXPOS Determining new UUID

fseventsd (33): log dir: /volumes/WXPDATA Determining new UUID

Then it hangs... WXPOS and WXPDATA are the two partitions I left aside for WXP, formated as FAT... (havent installed wxp there yet)

These are the error messages I get when I boot with the onboard video...

Thanks again.

What distro have you installed? Do you have OS X on a separate HDD or as a volume on same HDD as Windows?

Kaliway 10.5.2

As a volume on the same HDD, though I haven't installed Windows yet.

Partitions:

HFS MACOSX (Active)

HFS MACDATA

FAT WXPOS

FAT WXPDATA

Thanks.

May I suggest that you boot from the Install DVD and using Disk Utility partition your HDD as Master Boot Record into the following volumes

1st partition Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as OSX_Main - same size as OSX_Test

2nd partition Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as OSX_Test

3rd partition Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as OSX_Data

4th partition MS-DOS (FAT) as WXPOS

5th partition MS-DOS (FAT) as WXPDATA (FAT32 can be shared by OS X read/write but 4GB max.file size)

This way you can test out installations in OSX_Test without ever (hopefully) corrupting OSX_Main, especially its bootloader.......if you want windows as your main OS then move WXPOS to the first partition......set up dual booting using chain0 etc......

Then when you install OS X do not choose any audio, video or network options initially.......once you have a working basic system the relevant kexts can be installed....... :)

Thanks a lot verdant!

Did exactly as you told me...

Got the 5 partitions, and MAC OS X working perfectly on the main one.

Just one question... now I want to set up my "test environment" to try setting up my video card, etc... is there a way to copy the full image of my MAC_OSX_MAIN to my MAC_OSX_TEST so I don't have to keep on installing everything twice?

Thanks again.

Thanks a lot verdant!

Did exactly as you told me...

Got the 5 partitions, and MAC OS X working perfectly on the main one.

Just one question... now I want to set up my "test environment" to try setting up my video card, etc... is there a way to copy the full image of my MAC_OSX_MAIN to my MAC_OSX_TEST so I don't have to keep on installing everything twice?

Thanks again.

Boot up with "cpus=1 -v maxmem=2048" and use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your Main system to Test volume.......or use the procedure here and look for "A small guide for people to test different stuffs......"

Everything is working fine now in the OS X department...

Now... I'm having some problems installing Windows on the WXPOS partition... I get the message when installing "partition is not a Windows XP-Compatible"... looked all arround for a solution. Some say it's just a matter of setting the partition to active (did it and didn't work out), and others say you just have to wipe your whole HD and leave it as it came from factory.

Is there any other way arround this?

Thanks again.