• Announcements

• Allan

Forum Rules   04/13/2018

Hello folks! As some things are being fixed, we'll keep you updated. Per hour the Forum Rules don't have a dedicated "Tab", so here is the place that we have our Rules back. New Users Lounge > [READ] - InsanelyMac Forum Rules - The InsanelyMac Staff Team. 
Sign in to follow this  
atae

Parallel Windows Running OSX86

15 posts in this topic

Anyone had any luck yet? I have been trying but i get a crash almost right after boot. Seems to boot (or crash) real fast however.

You mean using Parallels for Windows run OSX in windows?

Thats' what i'm trying to do, but it won't even boot from the DVD to let me install it :(

thats what i mean. i can get it to boot the dvd but crashes soons as the greay loading screen hits.

I'm in the same situation as you are now - got it to start booting of a osx86 install disc image (won't boot directly of the DVD), but crashes as soon as it gets to the grey screen.

I also tried using VMware to do an install and it crashed at the same place so maybe it's not a Parallels specific error. I'm sure somepeople are installing osx86 via VMware so it'll be interesting to see how they're getting it to work.

I was hoping Parallels for OSX would have the Parallels Image Tools application so one could boot into their osx86 install, make a disc image, then reboot into windows and just load that disc image. Unfortunetly the Image Tool is not currently implemented in the Parallels OSX beta.

i can get osx to install in vmware but thats it. i guess ill keep playing with it.

Would be very interesting to see it run under Parallels or Xen and see if it gains any speed. I personally think it's the way to go funther on with OS X under non Mac x86 hardware to get full compatibility.

OSX is not officially supported under vmware either but it works.....I keep toying with parallels and have not made much progress. It seems really speedy up to the point of the crash.

OSX is not officially supported under vmware either but it works.....I keep toying with parallels and have not made much progress. It seems really speedy up to the point of the crash.

If you have a Windows guest in parallels, run CPU-Z or if you have a linux guest type cat /proc/cpuinfo. I doubt that parallels supports SSE2 because no other 64 bit guest is running. I also tried the deadmoo image (just create a new VM with the same size and exchange the HD files) but it was also not working for me.

In this PDF at page 9 it's written:

http://www.parallels.com/files/upload/Para..._User_Guide.pdf

Parallels Workstation virtualizes a full set of the standard PC hardware including:

CPU: Intel Pentium II or AMD Duron;

Generic motherboard compatible with Intel i815 chipset;

RAM up to 1500 MB;

VGA and SVGA with VESA 3.0 support;

1.44 MB floppy drive (mapped to a physical drive or to an image file);

A P2 or Duron haven't SSE2 and can't run OSX86

There's going to be 64-bit guest OS support in next Parallels version. That's gonna be really interesting!

Edit:

Refrased so it didn't just sound like I thought it would be great if there where...

the question is when we can get our hands on it and test.

What are the specific settings you are using in VMware?

I use standard settings with freeBSD as the guest and 512mb ram allocated. Im using the newest version which may make all the difference in the world. 5.5 i think. Slow as all hell but it works.