Installation: Dell Optiplex 755 iDeneb 10.5.5 to 10.5.8

xomp

25 posts in this topic

This is the process I used to install iDeneb 10.5.5 with full NIC, Video, Sound support along with the update to 10.5.8! I want to say that the Dell Optiplex 755 is the most stable system for a Hackintosh! You will be VERY impressed at how well OS X runs on this machine! I'm George Zimmer Founder and CEO of The Mens Warehouse and I guarantee it!

iDeneb Installation Notes:

Do NOT select ANY of the Chipset, Kernel, Network etc. options from this. Just leave everything unselected!

NETWORK

1. Install "Intel82566MM" using Kext Helper b7.

2. Don't reboot after installing.

3. "A new network interface has been detected." prompt should appear.

4. Click "Network Preferences"

5. On the "Network" window make sure "Configure:" is "Using DHCP" then click "Apply"

6. Wait a few seconds and you should be connected with an ip address from your router.

7. Close the "Network" window.

8. Done!

Updating to 10.5.8

1. Download "MacOSXUpdCombo10.5.8.dmg"

2. Before running the upgrade, open "Terminal" and enter the following:

sudo -s
<enter your password>
while sleep 1 ; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done

3. LEAVE THE TERMINAL WINDOW OPEN WHILE THE SCRIPT RUNS AND RUN THE UPGRADE!

4. Once the upgrade is complete, DO NOT HIT RESTART! Return to the "Terminal" window and interrupt the script (CTRL+C)

5. In the "Terminal" type:

nano /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1

6. Search for the string "/System/Library/Extensions/Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext"

7. Replace it with "/System/Library/Extensions/dsmos.kext"

8. Now Restart.

The system will actually reboot twice, with it successfully entering Mac OS X the second time.

Video Card

1. Download & Install "EFIStudio"

2. Download & Install "9f23installer.pkg"

3. Run "EFIStudio"

4. Device should already say "Display" - "ATI Radeon HD 2400 - 256MB"

5. Click "Add Device".

6. Replace any instance of "Iago" with "Megalodon" and any "IagoParent" with "MegalodonParent".

7. Click "write to com.apple.Boot.plist"

8. Enter your password

9. You should see "Bootlist Completed !" Hit "OK".

10. Completely close out of "EFIStudio".

11. Add the video device to the ATI driver. In "Terminal":

sudo -s
<enter your password>
nano /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000.kext/Contents/Info.plist

12. Add the device id to the <string> element under the <key> for IOPCIMatch. The device id for this card is 0x94c11002. Save the file and exit nano.

13. Still in "Terminal", rebuild the driver cache:

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

14. Then use "Disk Utility" to fix permissions on the drive.

15. Reboot

AUDIO

1. Install AppleAzaliaAudio.kext using Kext Helper b7

2. Done!

TIME MACHINE

1. Download "IONetworkingFamily.kext" by ToH

2. Install it with Kext Helper b7

3. Open Time Machine and turn it "ON"

4. Click "Choose Backup Disk"

5. Select "None"

6. Select your backup disk and click "Use for Backup"

• 2 weeks later...

It seems the instructions for video do not work for screens for 1680x1050, just get a bunch of gibberish on the screen. Have tried both the VGA and DVI cables on the card.

Since yours is working did QE get enabled? Going to try a different monitor next to see if that may resolve the issue.

Xomp,

Any idea if all Dell Optiplex 755's use the same motherboard? I am assuming there must be a difference between the Ultra small form factor, the small form factor and the small mini tower are slightly different. Perhaps they use the same chipsets and all, but who knows. What is the model number of your motherboard?

Hello everybody

I have a problem with my videocard connected with dvi.

See my signature for details.

I have exactly the same Dell Optiplex 755 SFF and use a HD 2400 Pro videocard. I have

used your guide to get a working videocard with qe/ci. The

problem what I have is that if I use a dvi2vga converter I don't have any problems with

my videocard if connected with vga, but if I connect my videocard with only dvi (without a dvi2vga converter) it looks like it is working properly but after a couple of minutes it goes black for one second

and then everything is working for a couple of minutes and then it goes black again for one

second and so one. Do you also have the same problem? Dual screen is working alright.

I hope anyone can help me?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
can someone post a list of which options were checked during installation?

kernel_vanilla_92

no graphics, audio, or networking kexts (you'll hand install these later)

mobo chipsets

-appleonboardpcata

-applegenericpcata

apps

-ktexthelperb7

other addons

-lastnetkasbios

-pcgenusb_fix

and you're good to go!

• 3 months later...

This file is no longer available from filedropper.com.

"9f23installer.pkg"

Any ideas?

kernel_vanilla_92

no graphics, audio, or networking kexts (you'll hand install these later)

mobo chipsets

-appleonboardpcata

-applegenericpcata

apps

-ktexthelperb7

other addons

-lastnetkasbios

-pcgenusb_fix

and you're good to go!

I can vouch for these settings in my Ultra Small Form Factor (USFF) version of the Optiplex 755.

The steps after the install I have not yet performed.

• 3 weeks later...

I followed these instructions. Got to 10.5.5 with no problems.

My 10.5.6 upgrade did not go well at all. Instead of running system update, I ran the 10.5.6 combo update after downloading it from Apple.com It installed successfully and then rebooted. Unfortunately, upon reboot, it just sits at the white Apple screen. I let it set for a half hour and no progress was made. Rebooting did not help.

Does installing a 10.5.6 combo update, rather than using system update make a difference? Also, should I have run the same terminal commands during the 10.5.6 update that I did with the 10.5.5 update (instructions do not say so).

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Also, anyone have info on updating to 10.5.7 on this machine?

Thanks,

Cory

• 5 weeks later...

hi,

you help please

I have a dell 755

ideneb 10.5.6

installed without the driver, just the system, but unfortunately at the end of the installation I rebooted the pc and can not enter the system

Can I help?

This is the process I used to install iDeneb 10.5.5 with full NIC, Video, Sound support along with the update to 10.5.8! I want to say that the Dell Optiplex 755 is the most stable system for a Hackintosh! You will be VERY impressed at how well OS X runs on this machine! I'm George Zimmer Founder and CEO of The Mens Warehouse and I guarantee it!

iDeneb Installation Notes:

Do NOT select ANY of the Chipset, Kernel, Network etc. options from this. Just leave everything unselected!

NETWORK

1. Install "Intel82566MM" using Kext Helper b7.

2. Don't reboot after installing.

3. "A new network interface has been detected." prompt should appear.

4. Click "Network Preferences"

5. On the "Network" window make sure "Configure:" is "Using DHCP" then click "Apply"

6. Wait a few seconds and you should be connected with an ip address from your router.

7. Close the "Network" window.

8. Done!

Updating to 10.5.8

1. Download "MacOSXUpdCombo10.5.8.dmg"

2. Before running the upgrade, open "Terminal" and enter the following:

sudo -s
<enter your password>
while sleep 1 ; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done

3. LEAVE THE TERMINAL WINDOW OPEN WHILE THE SCRIPT RUNS AND RUN THE UPGRADE!

4. Once the upgrade is complete, DO NOT HIT RESTART! Return to the "Terminal" window and interrupt the script (CTRL+C)

5. In the "Terminal" type:

nano /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1

6. Search for the string "/System/Library/Extensions/Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext"

7. Replace it with "/System/Library/Extensions/dsmos.kext"

8. Now Restart.

The system will actually reboot twice, with it successfully entering Mac OS X the second time.

Video Card

1. Download & Install "EFIStudio"

2. Download & Install "9f23installer.pkg"

3. Run "EFIStudio"

4. Device should already say "Display" - "ATI Radeon HD 2400 - 256MB"

5. Click "Add Device".

6. Replace any instance of "Iago" with "Megalodon" and any "IagoParent" with "MegalodonParent".

7. Click "write to com.apple.Boot.plist"

8. Enter your password

9. You should see "Bootlist Completed !" Hit "OK".

10. Completely close out of "EFIStudio".

11. Add the video device to the ATI driver. In "Terminal":

sudo -s
<enter your password>
nano /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000.kext/Contents/Info.plist

12. Add the device id to the <string> element under the <key> for IOPCIMatch. The device id for this card is 0x94c11002. Save the file and exit nano.

13. Still in "Terminal", rebuild the driver cache:

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

14. Then use "Disk Utility" to fix permissions on the drive.

15. Reboot

AUDIO

1. Install AppleAzaliaAudio.kext using Kext Helper b7

2. Done!

TIME MACHINE

1. Download "IONetworkingFamily.kext" by ToH

2. Install it with Kext Helper b7

3. Open Time Machine and turn it "ON"

4. Click "Choose Backup Disk"

5. Select "None"

6. Select your backup disk and click "Use for Backup"

Thanks alot man. Regards

I followed the instructions to upgrade to 10.5.8 and all went fine, but since I am using the onboard video I'm still stuck at a resolution of 1024 x 768.

Is there a way I can get a much better screen resolution?

thanks

FYI ... I solved my video problem by installing an Nvidia Geforce 8400GS 256MB DDR2 Pcie DVI low profile video card in my Optiplex 755 SFF. I then used EFIStudio but since the 8400GS is not listed I picked the closest match I thought might work. I picked the Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT-256MB, saved and rebooted.

When the system restarted, I checked system preferences and notice I have listed resolutions up to 1400 x 1050. I set my monitor to 1280 x 1024 and it looks sweet. Smiley

I tried a movie preview from Apple's website in 720p and it played without issues.

Hope this meets you well.

• 4 weeks later...

Have you tried to install 10.6 on 755 yet ?

I mean install 10.5.x with what every version (eg ideneb ) is EASY .. like kindergarden stuff

but install 10.6 from a retail disk ???

It's like getting a PHD when I'm still in Kidergarden ....

IT'S SO HARD

Hope you guys find a way to install 10.6 on 755

P.S. I've Tried to follow a few guides .. and can't even get to the installation page with a dvd

so sad ...

• 3 weeks later...

iDeneb v1.6 10.5.8 Lite Edition install on Dell Optiplex 755 small form factor

Hardware:

Standard small form factor Optiplex 755 with the following differences:

Video card: PNY GeForce 8400GS 256MB DDR2 DVI HDTV Out PCI-E graphics Card

Bluetooth: D-link DBT-120 USB Dongle

Install method:

Download iDeneb v1.6 10.5.8 Lite Edition from the following link:

iDeneb v1.6 10.5.8 Lite Edition

Use standard install with the following added drivers:

Chipset:

ICHx Fixed (make sure AHCI is disables in the BIOS)

Network:

Intel 82566 Series

Video:

NVinject 0.2.1 NVinject 256MB

Use disk utility to format hard drive as OSX journaled

On reboot install Kext Helper b7 from here:

Kext Helper b7

Now install the audio kext: AppleAzaliaAudio.kext.zip found here:

Audio Driver

Now you should have a fully functional hackintosh, the only thing that doesn’t work is the mic in port but you can get webcams with a mic that work fine on OS X such as those found here:

Webcams

• 1 month later...

Thank you OP! Your guide worked flawlessly for me, with two exceptions:

1. I used a GeForce 8400GS video card (use the NVInject 512mb driver during iDeneb 10.5.5 install, and change later using EFIStudio to GeForce 8400GS 512mb for QE/CI support)

2. During the install of the 10.5.8 combo update, the install went to 100% and then said "Install Failed" because it claimed it couldn't read the source device. Stupid because I was installing from the hard drive, but whatever.

Upon 2 reboots, I have a fully functional 10.5.8 set up.

The only thing I've identified that doesn't work perfectly so far is sleep mode. I suppose I could start over and try specifying the Vanilla 9.2.0 Kernel w/ Sleep by netkas, but I am happy just disabling sleep mode and shutting all the way down when I'm done playing with OSX.

Also, I am running in AHCI Sata mode -- not sure if that has a bearing on the sleep issue....

• 3 months later...

Test post...

I’m having some trouble with this… Cliff Notes at the bottom:

I bought a Dell Optiplex 755 from someone this week. Part of our deal was that he would partition 200Gb for Mac OS X and install. However, he only had enough time to Install the Update before our trade and pointed me towards this page to finish the Video Card and Sound segments, as he was using this, too. However, I am completely in the dark on Mac terminology and layout. I’ve never really even used one for more than an hour. After doing Google searches on how to find “Applications” and “Terminal” and figuring out how to save in Terminal, I muddled through most of the Video part. However, I didn’t understand Step 14. I found the Disk Utilities but nothing in there looked familiar to what I was trying to accomplish, so I basically just skipped that step and restarted the computer. Upon restart and choosing Mac OS X, the white screen with the Apple logo appears along with the “clock” (hourglass) showing that it is busy. After 10-15 seconds the computer freezes completely and the clock stops turning. Windows 7 boots fine, but once the computer freezes in Mac I have to do a hard reset using the power button. I am need of some help on how to resolve the freezing problem as well as what to do in Step 14.

Cliffs: I recently bought a computer and had to finish the installation of the Video Card and Sound for Mac. Knowing nothing about Mac, I struggled through it and got stumped on Step 14. I essentially skipped this step and rebooted. Mac will not boot and freezes the unit. Windows boots fine. Please help I just bought this computer and really am clueless.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Had to test because it wouldn't work at the job. Apparantly they're not forum friendly.

• 1 month later...
check this:

i'd suggest to install iATKOSv7 and after installation, upgrade to 10.5.8

i did it one year ago, i am using atm opti 760 & at work 780.

u've said that you have installed MAC OS X last year on a SFF Dell optiplex 755 ?

Can you please make a simple "how to" utorial, or please upload a better resolution video on youtube, because the one that exist, is poor quality and cannot be "step by step" followed.

If you could do this for us optiplex 755 users, we would be extremely happy : to know a guide that really works.

I have successfully gotten OS X 10.6 installed and working beautifully on the Optiplex 755. Mine has the Core 2 Duo processor, but I don't think that makes that much difference. I used the retail DVD even to get it installed.

I did the whole, restore Mac OS X DVD to a portable hard drive / jump drive first of all. (Need a working mac or vm of mac to do this part)

After that I downloaded the bootloader program made for the Gigabyte Board (attached below), verison 3!! The other versions gave me huge resolutions my monitor wouldn't recognize.

Once that was downloaded, I ran it and installed it to the jump drive I created

**THEN! Before booting to it, you have to go into the 'Extra' folder it created on the jump drive and delete a file "DSDT.aml" file or it will get a kernal panic!**

Then the rest of the install is cake. Make sure you have your BIOS set to boot off the USB drive and boot into it

Go through the install steps all the way. When you get all the way through your internet wont be working, so use the KEXT and KEXT helper (attached below) and install the Intel82566MM.kext file (even tho mine says its a DM) and it worked first time for me.

Now, before rebooting again, re run the same program for the Gigabyte Board and run it on the actual Hard Drive of the computer. AGAIN.. go find the 'Extra' folder it created at the root and delete the same DSDT file and now you can reboot without having your jump drive in the machine.

Internet is working, the graphics are good, I dont have speakers to test the sound, but thats not real important to me at this point, but maybe down the road... hit me up if you have questions...

-tay187

EDIT: DONT UPDATE TO 10.6.3 it broke my internet and I had to reinstall

EDIT: Attached the files I used minus the Kext Helper installer to simplify the process

Intel82566MM.kext.zip

EP45UD3P_OSx86_v3_STELLBLOG.zip

• 1 month later...

Tay187:

Hey, I follow your steps and it installed fine. But I can't seem to get the NIC to work correctly. I get a green NIC indication. but it fails to connect to the internet.

Did anyone experience this? and I can't get my sound to work either.

• 5 months later...

I installed on an Optiplex 755 using the Hazard CD 10.6.2. It's about as gumby as it gets the Cd will install and work without selecting anything from the customise menu. To get audio working use VoodoHDA and to get the network working use the Intel82566MM.kext. I found the audio only worked out of the back ports, not the speaker or front ports. All these options are part of the Hazard install.

Video card does not work and defaults to 1024x768. There is no know driver to get the onboard video working. I spent a good day trying to get an ASUS Nvidia 210 card working, but all I could do was change the resolution no enable QA. Wasted too much time on this I'm going to just pick up an 8400GS instead.

Updated to SL 10.6.5 no dramas. Just make sure you delete sleepenabler.kext from the System\library\extensions folder before you reboot.