VMWare Workstation 6 and OSX 10.5.4 JaS (or Kalyway 10.5.2)

Mega Man

8 posts in this topic

I'm trying to install OSx86 on a Toshiba M205-S810 Portege tablet pc. I've read that two other people have successfully installed 10.5.2 on an M200 (which is almost exactly the same as an M205).

Here's the problem: I'm trying to use VMWare to boot up an iso of osx86 and install it to a harddrive partition using VMWare Workstation 6.04. I've fiddled with the settings to the point where it boots up and asks you to press 'F8' and enter in options. Once I start it from there, VMWare stops the machine and gives me the PAE error. I've attached a screenshot. There's an odd graphical glitch when VMWare stops the machine. For more information, read below.

I've tried all the solutions that I have found to this problem. I've added the line 'paevm = "TRUE"' to the configuration file and edited my boot.ini file in XP to disable PAE on the host operating system. However, none of these work. I've even tried switching to my ubuntu partition and using VMWare Player there. Same result, except it fails silently at the same spot and with the exact same manner. (I suspect it's the same error)

Anyway, I could find an alternative to using VMWare if possible. (please point one out). I originally tried using the CD-RW drive that comes with the PC (it connects by USB), but the CD just stalls when loading the files. Apparently, the USB connection isn't fast enough to deliver the information, or the connection MUST be an IDE connection. The people who got osx86 successfully running on their M200's also cited the same problem. They overcame it by installing it using a different CD drive on another computer (If you can explain this process to me, I'd appreciate it greatly). I figured that I could use VMWare to install it and solve this problem.

I've been searching for a couple days straight and looked through the forum too. I can't come up with anything else. If anyone could offer anything helpful, that would be great. Thanks in advance!

post-124267-1229660226_thumb.png

Could you please explain how I can set the harddrive to SCSI? I found a spot in the Virtual Machine Settings to specify the harddrive (IDE 0:0, IDE 0:1, etc) but there were no options for SCSI. I also tried scsi0.present = "TRUE" and ide0:0.present = "FALSE", but that just gave me a Virtual Machine with no harddrive...

Thanks for your suggestion, I really think this is promising!

I think that I am also going to try hooking up the harddrive to another computer and installing it that way. I read on the other thread (with the M200 successful install) that one person tried it and their computer kept on stalling and showing "Missing NTLDR"...

I don't think that would happen to me, but is there anything I should know before I do this? Actually, I haven't found much information on the topic, but it feels like there should be a whole lot of information about this process...

Well, I got a 44 pin IDE-USB connector cable and tried to install OSx86 using another computer. This was successful! However, I still need to figure out the correct configuration. This is what I get when I try to boot (using the parameters "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32" and -v or verbose):

Waiting for boot volume with UUID 22F94E36-444C-3825-BFA8-DB326AE364DF
Waiitng on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourcesMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>
USBF: 29.171 AppleUSBEHCI[0x1b95000]::UIMInitialize - unable to get device memory
USBF: 29.173 AppleUSBEHCI[0x1b95000]::UIMInitialize - Error occurred (0xe00002be)
IOPCCardBridge::start failed
USBF: 29.205 AppleUSBEHCI: unable to initialize UIM
USBF: 34.182 AppleUSBUHCI[0x1ac4000]::UIMInitialize - ioMap is NULL
USBF: 34.184 AppleUSBUHCI: unable to initialize UIM
still waiting for root device

By searching for "AppleUSBEHCI" and "AppleUSBUHCI", it seems like the problem is related to USB 2.0. I'm going to try a few fixes. If they do not work, I'm going to see if the 10.5.2 Kalyway disk works (I hear there's a USB2 fix on it). (I used the 10.5.4 JaS server disk)

To start, SUCCESS!

I switched to Kalyway because I realized that that install had a much better way to customize the installation. After installing using Kalyway's 10.5.2 dvd, there were no major problems when it started up. However, the screen went blank when it got to the registration and startup.

This indicated a problem with the graphics drivers (as I thought and according to Kalyway's readme) so I booted the mac partition into single user mode (-s) and typed in "/sbin/mount -uw /" and "/movevideodrivers" to get rid of any active graphics drivers. (It puts them in a folder called "Backup drivers" in your home folder) I finished booting into OS X and viola!, a working OS X install. I think it is running using the onboard VGA. I haven't determined what is working or what isn't working yet, but I know that I haven't setup the wireless card correctly. (Otherwise, I would be writing this post on my new hackint0sh! :))

Now I'm on to figure out how all this business about NVinject and to find a compatible graphics driver for my NVIDIA Geforce FX Go5200. I'll post again later with the customized settings that I used to install OSx86 and also with a list of parts in the portege m205.