The Dell XPS m1530 Definative Guide

widescreen169

11 posts in this topic

Update, watch this space as it will change very soon as I am migrating to a Vanilla retail copy of Leopard because patched ones have been giving me headaches!

After what seemed like over 200 hours of research and 36 hours of installing and tweaking, My Dell XPS m1530 is fuly up and running yes even consistent sound. My intel wireless card isn't supported of course but I have ordered a Dell Truemobile 1490 (Broadcom) which apparently works out of the box (citation needed).

I decided to do this write up because after many painful hours I'm sure not everyone is as persistent as me. Now to start it all...

My configuration:

Intel Core 2 Duo SSE3

2gigs of ram

Nvidia 8600m GT

SigmaTel 9228 Sound card

intergrated camera

Intel 3495 wireless card (awaiting Broadcom card)

System running Vista dual-booted with Leopard 10.5.2

Pre-requisits:

iAtkos v1.0r2 DVD

Vista SP1 DVD

Ubuntu 8.10 liveCD

Tips:

Remember the usual, back up all docs etc.

Reason for using Ubuntu is the live CD has a nice and fast partition app and because it all runs off the disc and not hard-drive, you can be sure of a clean wipe.

Installing Vista:

Using the liveCD boot up Ubuntu and in the terminal, type sudo gparted this opens the partitioner and detects all the drives. The procedure is pretty simple, delete all partitions unless you wish to keep Media Direct in which case leave that one. Create ONLY ONE partition formatted to NTFS (decide how big this will be) and leave the rest as unknown for now and then click apply. Reboot and install vista on that drive. I won't go into detail about a windows installation because frankly, if you can't do that then you shouldn't be here, sorry just has to be said.

Creating the drives for Leopard:

After your windows installation is satisfactory, reboot back into the liveCD and Gparted and create either, just another one for your Leopard installation or two partitions (middle one for file sharing) beware, windows can't read the Mac Exteneded file system therefore i would recommend the latter. Format one of the sharing drive to fat32 as Mac can't write to them and leave the last one as unknown again now click apply, then right click on said drive and manage flags and tick to boot option close all and power down the Ubuntu liveCD. Insert iAtkos DVD and reboot.

Installing Leopard:

Now, most people enjoy installing things with everything they need, it really isn't the case with a hackintosh. Once the DVD has booted, and you have clicked the buttom to continue. On the bar at the top, click tools and go to Disk Utility and select the hard drive you set to be unknown (you can probably tell by looking at the size) and click the Erase tab. It gives the options for which file system to format it to, select MacOS extended (Journaled). Click ok and then close the Disk Utility. After that, click next on your installer and on the confirm page, you will see a buttom that says Customize, click this and it opens some expand menus, expand the Bootloader option, select Darwin EFI and tick everything that is linked to it. Next select Drivers, then System then browse until you get to a Kext that has AppleSMBIOS or something on it select only those and only!! Click continue and sit back and wait. Afterwards the computer with restart and you will probably get a HFS+ problem. This is fine don't worry.

Achieving the Dual-boot without affecting either installation:

After panicing about the HFS+ problem, pop your liveCD back in and use Gparted again and manage flags on your windows drive and tick boot. Shut down Ubuntu and reboot into windows. Everything in terms of OS installation is done...whew! Now things are supposed to get rather hard if you are a hackintosh virgin but if you follow these instructions carefully, there should be no problem. Ok so now back into your windows environment, download EasyBCD. EasyBCD is a nice little app that adds entries into your Vista bootloader and is perfect for what we wish to do. Install and add an entry for MacOS and call it what you like, click save and away. We're going to boot into Leopard for the first time!

Booting Leopard and sorting out drivers and fixes:

Reboot and at the bootloader select your Leopard installation, it will come up with something that says hit enter and it has a countdown, do this and select your Leopard drive to boot. Unfortunately we have to do this everytime which is the worst thing about this. Boot into the Leopard environment. You will have bad resolution and also no sound, this is fine, and will be fixed. Beware though that installing the graphics kexts will corrupt the shutdown/restart processes therefore we will install the nvidia kext last. Download the Kalyway 10.5.2 (not 3) Combo Update Pack and run that, it will update your system, have not tried .3 yet because scared it might ruin my system setup and render things broken...please report back if people have tried.

Google and download PCWiz's osx86 tools. It does many amazing things such as repairing permissions and more importantly installs kexts so you don't have to do it manually!!

There is an options to install kexts, click that and a wzard will arise and will need guiding to the kexts.

For sound to work perfectly, go to your Leopard installation drive and navigate System->Library->Extensions-> in there you will need to delete AppleHDA.kext and AppleAzalia.kext (unsure of the name of second one but you will see which one I'm talking about and know. Then download these Sigmatel patched kexts and unzip then in Leopard, it will unzip to a folder with 2 kexts within them. Using osx86tools' install kext wizard, navigate to these new kexts and install them, one by one restarting everytime. I recomment installing the HDAEnabler.kext first but it won't make a difference. After the last restart, you will notice that your sound has been enabled!!

For some small tweaks that you should do before you sort out the graphics. Download sonotone's Dell Laptop Post-installer run it and check the battery meter option and if you want, the touchpad option. Afterwards, open osx86tools and repair permissions and clear extenstion cache etc, reboot.

Now, download the installer from http://http://scottdangel.com/blog/?p=23 make sure its v.41 because thats the one that definately works for this comp and installation. Open the installer and check the 256mb vanilla option as well as the 'M' or 'go' laptop option, don't check the netkas option because its useless. Run the installer and reboot when prompted. Upon reboot, the spinny thing under the apple logo will freeze but it is still booting just that the graphics card is being enabled and the screen is not responding for a while. After it has sorted itself out the desktop will look much more pretty with high res everything!!! Check your graphics on the system profiler and select Graphics and Displays and see if Core Image and Quartz Extreme are Hardware accelerated and Supported respectively, they should be. You can also enable Quartz GL via osx86tools, now this will ask for a reboot but as everyone knows, this is weird. When it comes to that, I go and click sleep which reboots my system for some reason.

Finishing off:

Now your system should be running fully. Intel 3495a/g/n wireless will not work but a Dell 1390/1490/1505 Broadcom will work out of the box. You may purchase one from ebay for about $20. LAN has no drivers either so your best bet is to purchase a usb to ethernet adapter. Then you can have everything!!!

Very useful Apps:

AppCleaner is a good uninstaller

Paragon NTFS for windows file system compatibility

Perian is a great codec pack for QuickTime if you don't want VLC Player

Hopefully this should get you going with an as close to perfect Leopard install as possible and you get best of both worlds with the dual-boot.

Leave replies with your experiences, would love to know.

All the best

Really nice guide widescreen!! I was looking for something just like this. Now one question: Do I have to reformat my hard drive completely? I have 3 partitions already: Dell media dirct, a 55mb partition i think for page files, 10GB recovery partition, and a 250GB vista partition.

Now the semester is over and I have all my work on this laptop, its brand new and I have everything backed up as well. Would I still be able just to split the vista partition and use like 20GB of that to install OSX in it or will it cause major boot problems?

Indeed not, my advice is to get yourself the liveCD, and see if you can resize the Vista partition or create a new one from it. Hopefully the data will not be harmed but I've never tried so please don't accuse me of losing you your work. If it does work, create a 20 gig unformatted volume and follow the guide from the Leopard installation section. Should work then.

Be carefull about the partitioning though i'm not 100% sure that you won't lose your data, good job you backed it all up though.

Regards

ws169

That sounds good. I think I will try and create and seperate the vista partition in windows using diskpart. That's the way I always did it for my dell 410 system. I hope wifi will work, have the broadcom 1505 wireless n card and it seems the sound card is the same, 9228.

I won't accuse you of loosing my work haha, I always back everything up completely because I expirament a lot with different OS's and apps so I know what can happen. Not like I will need any of the work for next semester but its nice to have I suppose.

Oh and for the graphics card, I have a geforce 8400M instead of the 8600, will those kexts you provided also work?

Hello, yes the Dell 1505 wifi card should work as will the installer for the graphics card. Make sure that during the installation, you select the right memory option, I think your 8400 has 128mb be sure to check that tick box as well as the 'M' and 'go' tick box in the graphics installers. Good luck I hope to be hearing very soon about your successful install.

ws169

Widescreen: Nvinstaller v 0.41 is not the best option as a more recent installer also works and without the lag that you mentioned. See this:http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=115562&view=findpost&p=930144

Just make sure you DO NOT choose the GO or Mobile option. Just wanted to make sure you get the best out of your mac....

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
do you have time machine working?

Time Machine works on my M1530. You need to get the Ethernet working first. I have had the best luck with iATKOS v7, using the Broadcom drivers -- both my 8040 Ethernet (I selected the first Broadcom driver under wired) and Dell 1505 wireless cards Broadcom again, under wireless) are working, along with webcam, sound and accelerated video (using nvinject) -- basically, everything but sleep and restart. I haven't installed it, but supposedly the fingerprint reader works, too, using the Udek Mac driver. Not sure about HDMI (but I'd guess that HDMI audio won't work).