GA-EP35-DS4 with vanilla kernel: can we get sleep to work?

mcsmart

7 posts in this topic

Hello there!

I installed Leopard from a 10.5.4 retail DVD and upgraded to 10.5.5. The only custom kexts I use are:

• AppleSMBIOS.kext (cosmetic thing)
  • IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext
  • OpenHaltRestart.kext (reboot fix)
  • dsmos.kext
  • Natit.kext

Everything else is vanilla. Now I wonder how I can get sleep to work. I am on a GA-EP35-DS4 (r2.1) mobo (see my sig for more specs). Right now the computer turns off when I select sleep from the Apple menu.

I want to keep the list of modified kexts as short as possible, but I guess I have missed one :wacko:. Maybe ACPIPlatform?

Could someone please give me a hint?

Thanks,

mcsmart

• 3 weeks later...
Do you have intalled EFI 9 boot system after 10.5.6 upgrade or no?

Nope. I am using munky's modified Chameleon bootloader. This way I never have to touch any extensions on my Leopard partition.

The only issue I have is minor one: I cannot get SystemProfiler to report all the information I want. I've tried several AppleSMBIOS kexts and atm I am using the SMBIOSenabler, but this does not show RAM information.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

I installed Leopard on EP35-DS4 from a 10.5.2 Kalyway DVD and followed pcwiz's guide to upgrade all the way to 10.5.4. Then I upgraded to 10.5.5 via System Profiler..so far so good. Everything worked fine up to that point (QE, JMicron, Sound, WLAN pci-card and sleep/hibernate). About 14 days ago I decided to give it a shot and upgraded to 10.5.6 following LTL's update guide (here): I logged into my rescue/utility 10.5.2 system, installed 10.5.6 on my target partition, applied the kexts for ep35-ds4 and installed EFIv9.

Everything is running fine now in 10.5.6 besides the fact that sleep/hibernate doesn't work at all. I checked the error msg I get ("sleepimage has garbage...") on netkas.org but couldn't find a proper solution so far...I tried several options mentionend on netkas site but none of them worked..and I also saw that there must be some guys out here who seem to suffer from the same prob...

So my questions at this point are:

- Is there something wrong with EFIv9 in the case of EP35-DS4 or

- has anyone succeeded in activating sleep/hibernate in 10.5.6 with EFIv9 and this Gigabyte MoBo and if yes, how? :P

(if yes, what kexts do you use, do I need AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement or ACPIPlatform or are my 4GB ram part of the problem or..?)

- is the only way to get sleep running in this setup to use munky's modified Chameleon bootloader as mentionend above?

Any hint would be highly appreciated...

Thx,

gbuster

Hi,

ok forget my previous post, the problem is solved here:

Page 38 of LTL's Guide

..so it has nothing to do with EFIv9, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, ACPIPlatform or 4 GB Ram, the solution goes like that:

I checked the "Restart after a power failure" in "Energy Saver" system preference's "Option" tab, as you said. Now, instant comeback from "Sleep" does work.

That's it, sleep works fine again.

And furthermore, with a nice little app called "Smartsleep" you can control system's sleep mode via Preferences (you can choose between smart sleep, sleep, sleep & hibernate and hibernate...). You can download the app for example here:

Smartsleep

Have a nice day,

gbuster :(

• 7 months later...