WORKING! Intel PRO/1000 (8254x) Drivers

fusionne

5 posts in this topic

Hello all... I wasn't able to readily find any kexts for my Intel PRO/1000 MT Server Adapter (PCI/PCI-X) here in the forums. After a bit of searching I found an OEM (Small Tree) that actually manufactures Intel PRO/1000 replica cards for Mac's. I downloaded their driver package and voila, picked up the card perfectly.

Here's the link: http://www.small-tree.com/gigabit-ethernet...nload-a/198.htm

I did note that there were some device ID's in there that conflict with the 82566MM kext from TechResearchInfo, which I still needed for my onboard 82566DM2. I would recommend removing the duplicates from either, if you require both kexts installed... this works fine for me.

One quirk if you use the package to install: if your system no longer makes it to the login screen when you reboot to complete the install, boot into single user mode (with -s) and delete the Small Tree folder from /Library/StartupItems/

Just did a reinstall with Boot-123 and a retail 10.5.4 DVD and the 8254x (at least 82545GM) drivers are included in the base install. So if you use a retail DVD instead of a hackintosh specific DVD, and have a PRO/1000 MT, no extra work. :(

• 10 months later...

Anyone had any luck hacking those drivers to work with an on-board 8254x device?

My P4 Hackintosh can use the vanilla driver in 10.5.8 but the connection drops after a while.

I can get it back online by disabling and enabling it again in network prefs but sooner or later the fun stops with complete lockup or kernel panic.

I don't see anything in the logs.

Any ideas?

I made some progress.

I used to have perfectly working ethernet on this motherboard way back when using JaS 10.5.4 Client/Server.

So I grabbed the AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext from my old, dusty JaS DVD and stuck it in the plugins folder of IONetworkingFamily.kext.

The info.plist inside has some driver settings in it and they are different in the old kext. I tried putting those settings in the plist of the 10.5.8 driver but that didn't work any better.

Let's see if it works any better with the JaS kext...it didn't drop out so far....will report back later.