Leopard on Core i7

AshUK

4 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I've built myself a new PC, but I can't get OS X on it :'(

It's a 2.66GHz Core i7, Gigabyte GA-EX58-Extreme board etc...

Anyway I tried to install iDeneb (10.5.5), it installs but then wont boot, same with Kalyway 10.5.2 but on Kalyway it worked with the sleepkernel.

Is there any way to get the sleepkernel onto my install of iDeneb 1.3?

Also I tried booting the Leopard retail DVD and that did the same, is it overall incompatibility with the new i7 chips?

• 2 weeks later...

I have no way to test it for now, but would be glad to read more about your tryouts on this mainboard.

I'd recommend trying the stageXNU flavor, wich could be easier to hack if the issue is kernel related. For this to work out, you'd probably need a second machine running OS X or a Linux system with HFS support on the same machine in order to replace the kernel right after the install finished. It's just a file to coyp/overwrite and it should be doable from Linux.

Also I tried booting the Leopard retail DVD and that did the same, is it overall incompatibility with the new i7 chips?

The Core i7 uses a new architecture (Nehalem) and I'd suspect Apple will make a new kernel for the i7 chips when they start putting them into their systems but until then I'd say OSx86 won't like it too much...