Tiger in VMWare Fusion

mk14

1 post in this topic

I installed Tiger into VMWare Fusion (by patching /Library/Application Support/VMWare Fusion/isoimages/darwin.iso (replaced all occurrences of ServerVersion.plist with SystemVersion.plist) to trick VMWare into believing it's running a server version). This method worked just fine for Leopard (using a 10.5.0 retail disk).

Tiger installation worked just fine (because I only have a Tiger disc (10.4.8) that shipped with a Mac (MacBookPro2,2), I had to mount the vmdk and install Tiger to it from within a running OS X (as described at macosxhints.com)), but it won't boot. As soon as the grey Apple is displayed (even before the spinner shows up), the virtual hard disk no longer shows any activity.

If I pass it -v -s -x as boot options, these are the messages displayed right before the grey Apple comes up:

tigerbootinfusionzh8.png

This problem occurs both when booting from the installed Tiger and when booting from the Tiger install disc. In contrast, Leopard in Fusion works just fine. Leopard even displays the same messages when booting it with -v -s -x:

leobootinfusionko9.png

Any ideas what this issue could be related to? According to above macosxhints.com article, it should work just fine.

Thanks!

post-5796-1226749177_thumb.png