About The Intel 915 Chipset

syldaril

2 posts in this topic

I've been wondering about this for quite a while. I am trying to install OSX directly from the DVD on my Dell Inspiron 9300. I've seen in a lot of posts that you must have a hardware very similar to that of the developer machines. One chipset that seems to be required is the Intel 915 chipset. However we're talking about a family of chipsets here (915GM/PM/GMS). My motherboard is equipped with the 915PM chipset, does anyone know if that'll do?

If it 915PM can do the job, then all I'll have to do is patch the SSE3 check, replace the originals with the maxxus files (v0.4) and add a the kexts from the Darwin 8.01 CD right? :(

Thanks for the response! :)

Syldaril.

I've been wondering about this for quite a while. I am trying to install OSX directly from the DVD on my Dell Inspiron 9300. I've seen in a lot of posts that you must have a hardware very similar to that of the developer machines. One chipset that seems to be required is the Intel 915 chipset. However we're talking about a family of chipsets here (915GM/PM/GMS). My motherboard is equipped with the 915PM chipset, does anyone know if that'll do?

If it 915PM can do the job, then all I'll have to do is patch the SSE3 check, replace the originals with the maxxus files (v0.4) and add a the kexts from the Darwin 8.01 CD right?  :P

Thanks for the response! :)

Syldaril.

If you have the original DVD image and the 915 chipset (all the same, because yes, same family). You could try to patch it. But WAIT. Don't go about patching with all the maxxus files. You most likely don't even need the kexts from the Darwin DVD. Just the oah750d patch from xplode (google "xplode stuff") and follow instructions on the first page of this. The other patches are not necessary. As long as you have SSE3 on the CPU you should be good to go.

joneSi