Things to do with a Desktop computer

paolo-

4 posts in this topic

Hi, I have an odd question. I have a hackintosh desktop witch is quite a capable machine (okok, 2.93 ghz p4 with 1.25gb ram) but I recently bought a macbook, and it's much faster than my my desktop on top of being portable. So it looks as though I'll be using pretty much only my laptop. Anyone has found a use for their desktop. I guess I could get a HDD and run timemachine on it, but other than folding proteins, is there any usefull it could do ?

PS, I do mostly audio work and my laptop plugs into my desktop's display and speakers (probably mouse and keyboard too)

Well I'm not too sure what your question is but of course the MacBook is faster, it has a better processor and all its correct hardware components. But once you have a Mac you dont need another one. So there is no use for YOU to have a iHac, but for others its the only Mac they have so its a different story.

Hi, I have an odd question. I have a hackintosh desktop witch is quite a capable machine (okok, 2.93 ghz p4 with 1.25gb ram) but I recently bought a macbook, and it's much faster than my my desktop on top of being portable. So it looks as though I'll be using pretty much only my laptop.

Keep it around. When a friend comes over and wants to surf the net, he can use it. I had as many and three friends come by and they wall wanted to surf the net, so I had one on a desktop system and other two on laptops.

My situation is opposite. I have a more powerful desktop and until recently, i only used it to play games. Now that I finally got it working with a dual boot between vista and osx86, it's actually great to use.

Honestly, if I had the money, I would have dumped the pc world and gone mac a long time ago.

My only true mac is an ibook which runs tiger and against vista, it boots up faster than vista and it's only a G3 600 Mhz and 640M. My desktop system has a Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 with 4GB 800 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM!

Well, if both have wifi you can setup a small network and use the desktop as a file server and print server, so you can host important files on it (as a backup, for example) and print from wherever you are in the house, instead of being stuck to a single desk close to the printer.

And, of course, it would be always a spare computer. :D