In the future, will run 5 OSs in different ways

8 posts in this topic

For any of you who might be interested, I have an Asus Z84J barebones laptop that I equipped with an Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 dual-core processor, 160GB of internal and external hard drive space each, 4GB of memory, and a lot of love for operating systems. I have partitioned both my internal and external hard drives into three partitions, and this is what I'm doing now (and will eventually do, hopefully). Currently, I run Windows XP Home SP3 and Vista Home Premium SP1 on two of the internal partitions. In the future, I will install Windows 7 on the third internal partition. In addition, I am running Xelabo's Leopard 10.5.5 virtual machine in VMware Player under the XP partition. Also, in the future, I will up the Vista partition to SP2 when that service pack gets released probably next June, oddly at about the same time Windows 7 gets released. Finally, when the latest full version of Ubuntu, 8.10 Intrepid Ibex, gets released tomorrow, I will install that on one of the three partitions on my external hard drive. Also, I will keep a close eye out for a virtual machine containing Snow Leopard 10.6 when that is eventually released. It may not exactly be quint-booting, but it's probably the closest I can get to my wonderful love for operating systems. Consider: I know most Windows afficiandos love XP and hate Vista, but I love both, and I will surely love 7 by then. I know that not many people use Linux, but I know it's extremely secure. Finally, I actually grew up on Macs although I use PCs mostly these days, so until I actually get a Mac in the future (or maybe not if Psystar prevails in their court case against Apple), I'm loving the living of my multi-OS present and future-day life. Any comments on what you might think I would extremely appreciate, and I thank you all for your time.

The first question that drops into my mind is... why? But the answer I guess, will be in the line of, because I can, or because its obsession :-) And I doubt microsoft will deliver anything next summer... history usually repeats itself. Anyways, good luck!

The first question that drops into my mind is... why? But the answer I guess, will be in the line of, because I can, or because its obsession :-) And I doubt microsoft will deliver anything next summer... history usually repeats itself. Anyways, good luck!

+1

yea this just sounds like a funny picture and not a useful laptop.

XP with Tiger

Vista with Leopard

7 with Snow

Wowww thats sooo funny!! ha ha!! Now when you use it you have just wasted tons of harddrive space and this just becomes a laptop for showcase reasons.

And if you havent heard Psystar and Apple arent in court anymore, they are making under the table arrangements.

I've just wanted to update all of you on my plans as of now. I still have three internal partitions, but instead of putting all but Ubuntu (was going to be external) on it, I have instead partitioned the sections into one where XP's is about 20GB more than both the Vista and the Windows 7 partitions each. That way, I can basically split duties in the XP partition between XP and Ubuntu (now using 8.10 Intrepid Ibex). Also, the VMware image of Leopard will still run under the XP partition, leaving Vista on the second partition, and the third empty (as of now) to make room for 7. Also, for future references, I backed up my current usage of the Leopard 10.5.5 VMware image, since I will be testing Software Update to see if it will successfully update the image to Leopard 10.5.6 (currently in the seeding process), and eventually to Snow Leopard 10.6 when that comes out next year. And finally, I will be putting the current usage of Ubuntu into my external hard drive as a portable OS via a tutorial on PenDriveLinux.com. I am glad for the recent feedback, as well as any future comments you may have. Have a great day, and I thank you for your time.

Just gotta ask...

DUDE, have you got a GIRLFRIEND!? :(

StiCMAN

I've just wanted to update all of you on my plans as of now. I still have three internal partitions, but instead of putting all but Ubuntu (was going to be external) on it, I have instead partitioned the sections into one where XP's is about 20GB more than both the Vista and the Windows 7 partitions each. That way, I can basically split duties in the XP partition between XP and Ubuntu (now using 8.10 Intrepid Ibex). Also, the VMware image of Leopard will still run under the XP partition, leaving Vista on the second partition, and the third empty (as of now) to make room for 7. Also, for future references, I backed up my current usage of the Leopard 10.5.5 VMware image, since I will be testing Software Update to see if it will successfully update the image to Leopard 10.5.6 (currently in the seeding process), and eventually to Snow Leopard 10.6 when that comes out next year. And finally, I will be putting the current usage of Ubuntu into my external hard drive as a portable OS via a tutorial on PenDriveLinux.com. I am glad for the recent feedback, as well as any future comments you may have. Have a great day, and I thank you for your time.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe what I can say is this: no, I do not have a girlfriend (most of my friends are girls, but as such, they're all in relationships understandably), and I use XP for the bulk of the work I do. Also, I read in a recent PC World magazine article about the future of the tech world something interesting about the future of Windows. Windows 7 (which I'll put on my empty partition when it's released) will contain both 32-bit and 64-bit support (I have 32-bit support). However, the article said that Windows 8 (will be released sometime between 2012 and 2014) will only support 64-bit. It's good and not so good for me in different ways. It's good since on my current computer (an Asus Z84J barebones laptop) I have the hardware capable of running XP, Vista, Ubuntu, Leopard, and 7, but not for 8, so when 8 comes out, I'll either miss out or I'll have to get and use a second computer for that, but until then, I'm happy with what I have and will have.