Need help to repair com.apple.Boot.plist w/o loading to OSX

4 posts in this topic

Hi Folks. Need some help here. I'm sure the problem's easy to fix, but I just don't know how yet.

1 MBR HDD, 2 partitions, vistax64 first, JaS 10.5.4 client second, dual boots from chameleon boot loader.

I decided to add a Kernel flag to boot into vistax64 by default (the rd=diskXsY method), saved the com.apple.Boot.plist file, restarted and it screwed up the loading ;) . It tries to load OSX for some reason (i used "diskutil list" to determine X,Y values, and I'm sure I set it for vista, not mac :wacko: ). Tried to boot osx in safe mode (or single user?) using the -s command, but i get a kernel panic machine hang :blink: . Currently, I'm still able to boot to vista, although still manually :P .

Problem:

How can I reedit the com.apple.Boot.plist file without booting to OSX? I tried to navigate to the file through terminal by booting from the install DVD. I saw the "Mac OSx86" volume under the root /Volumes folder, it seemed to be mounted, tried to cd to it, but get some sort of error. (File not found, Mac OSx86 is not a folder, access denied). Even if I do get to it, how can I edit it? nano command is not on the instal DVD. Any help is greatly appreciated :) !

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>2</string>

</dict>

</plist>

if you can get into windows download MacDrive so that you can see your osx drive. then go to where the the boot.plist is at and replace it

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

right click then edit with wordPad (under windows)

whats above is what i have on mine. this happened to me too and this was the only way i found i could fix this

ill attach my boot.plist

CHANGE THE EXTENTION TO .plist TAKE THE TXT OFF

i have it set to 2sec to load into osx change the 2 in "<string>2</string>" to a different Number (8 is default)

hope this helps

com.apple.Boot.plist.txt