DARWIN Can't see my second drive!

5 posts in this topic

Hi

I currently, after about 8 hours experimenting and failing, have 2 500GB hard drives, disk0 with 1 partition, OSX86, and disk1 with 2 partitions, partition, NTFS, storaging all my music n bits, and partition 2, which is Vista x64

I have tried every guide I can find to get Darwin booting dual, but it will not work!

I know they are both functioning and working. PC loads darwin and the osx86 fine. If i off disk0 in the bios, Vista loads perfectly as the bios resorts to booting the second drive, and no I can't change the startup HDD order in the bios.

How can I make Darwin work? Can I code it?

Thanks in advance!

erm if you can boot vista use something like EasyBCD and add a new Mac OS entry. And change your bootloader timing as well. When yuo boot Vista, you will see 2 options. Select the Mac OS entry, and it MIGHT work. If it does, congrats. If it does not, I think you will have to install GRUB or this GAG bootloader that I found. GAG bootloader comes on an ISO image, so just burn it, and boot to it. Instructions are in the disc.

or if you can open your computer, open it up and switch the cables between both hard disks. They'll switch in the BIOS order and you will end up booting with Darwin bootloader. if you want to use Darwin bootloader to boot your Vista, you need the UUID of your Vista hdd/partition (can't remember which).

gdluck :whistle:

Hi

I currently, after about 8 hours experimenting and failing, have 2 500GB hard drives, disk0 with 1 partition, OSX86, and disk1 with 2 partitions, partition, NTFS, storaging all my music n bits, and partition 2, which is Vista x64

I have tried every guide I can find to get Darwin booting dual, but it will not work!

I know they are both functioning and working. PC loads darwin and the osx86 fine. If i off disk0 in the bios, Vista loads perfectly as the bios resorts to booting the second drive, and no I can't change the startup HDD order in the bios.

How can I make Darwin work? Can I code it?

Thanks in advance!

You should have really searched the forum before shouting. macgirl's stickie threat already covered this. Darwin cannot boot an OS from another physical hard disk. If you want to dual boot using darwin (or pretty much any other boot loader), you'll have to learn to install both OSes on one HDD, which some people do not recommend for good reasons! You should be happy you can select choices one way or the other in your BIOS. Many people can't even do that, especially on laptops.

• 2 weeks later...

I had searched for hours and found nothing, and nor had many others, it seemed, otherwise I wouldn't have needed an answer. But thanks anyway d!g!t@lTr@sh for confirming that it isn't possible, I thought as much. Anyway, I switched the hard drives to get Vista booting, and then went with Easy BCD. I have used the program before, and it is very good, I just thought I'd be better off using something I could edit within OSX. Thanks for your help.