Mobility Radeon 3450 Still not working

Evgeni Metodiev

14 posts in this topic

Did someone succed in running a Mobility Radeon HD3450 (deviceID 0x95c4) in resolution different than 1024x768 :D

I tried everything in the forum, but nothing helped. As far as I understood there are a lot of people interested in this video card, since its quite popular in most mainstream laptops right now

• 2 weeks later...

somebody working on it !?

unfortunately, they don't post ,....

would be good to have a section in here,....

NON-WORKING mobility,..... never will,...

NON-WORKING mobility , work in progress,....(no results yet,...)

Hi there, I have the mobility 3450 in my Studio 15, and I did two things to get 1152 X 864. Now I don't know how or why it worked, I was just fiddling around, but, here goes....

I edited the plist file as described here:

If you want higher resolution, I was able to get that by editing a file, like so:

QUOTEEdit the com.apple.Boot.plist file at /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist and add the following (use your own resolution in this):

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1920x1200x32</string>

Open Disk Utility and repair permissions - Restart and hope it worked!

And then I installed the ati kext using: Dell Laptop Post Installer v1.3.dmg

Again, I don't know what I'm doing, but it seems to have gotten me out of 1024 x 768 and into 1152 x 864

If someone can explain why, and if a higher resolution can be achieved, I'd be glad to try it.

didnt u try that same trick with 1440*900 resolution, I`m interested in that resolution in particular, since I have the LED display option on my studio 15 and it would be nice to run it in native resolution, After all, everything that has aspect ratio of 16:10 is a good starting point, I`ll try what u suggested, maybe that weekend, do I need to download any utilities (includig the dmg file u mentioned) and where can I find them, 10x

Will try now to change the plist file to 1440*900 to see what happens. I have the 1920*1200 Display. You don't need anything to modify the plist, just Textedit. The dmg file is here: http://www.mediafire.com/?jm4kzzn25j2

I actually modified the wrong plist file before, but I now modified com.apple.Boot.plist and added 1920*1200, 1440* was already there, when i re-booted I now have 1600 X 1200 resolution. Wow, it actually says 1600*1200, but, it looks like 1920*1200 to me. Who knows.

Here is a screen capture of the system profiler: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vitocudd/3009415448/

Will try now to change the plist file to 1440*900 to see what happens. I have the 1920*1200 Display. You don't need anything to modify the plist, just Textedit. The dmg file is here: http://www.mediafire.com/?jm4kzzn25j2

I actually modified the wrong plist file before, but I now modified com.apple.Boot.plist and added 1920*1200, 1440* was already there, when i re-booted I now have 1600 X 1200 resolution. Wow, it actually says 1600*1200, but, it looks like 1920*1200 to me. Who knows.

Here is a screen capture of the system profiler: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vitocudd/3009415448/

What a great new, could you give us more details about what you did, I got few questions for you because i didn't manage to change resolution doing what you say (I did try with a clean Ideneb 1.3 install with vanillia 9.5) :

> which OSX version do you have ? Retail ? Kaliway ? Ideneb ?

> Which kernel ?

> Did you remove other kexts before ?

> Did you install other kexts before ?

You did manage to do what all dell studio with ati graphic users are trying for a long, congratulation but help us to do it alsi please...

Thanks in advance

Hi Boombeng, now I'm no expert, I just did what I outlined above. The install was a clean iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5. The kernel, i *guess* is 9.5 (how do i find that out?) The only kexts i fiddled with were for sound, before i did the two steps above. I installed the Dell laptop post installer, using the ati X1400 package and then choosing the 1440*900 resolution in that package. Then I modified the com.apple.Boot.plist file, adding the resolution strings outlined above, namely,

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1920x1200x32</string>

To modify the file I had to copy it to the desktop, alter it and copy it back to its normal path, which is at: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

I *did* repair pemissions using Disk Utility after each step. And now, I have 1600*1200 resolution. No quartz working though.

Why or how this worked, I don't know exactly, but I managed to do it both on an external USB hard Dive, and it worked, and on my internal laptop Hard Drive and it worked too. Remember to repair permissions after each step, this must be an important step, as others, I see, broke their system. Hope this helps. Now I have the HD radeon Mobility 3450 and the the laptop display is the one that goes up to 1920*1200. The highest resoltion i have achieved is 1600*1200. Hope that helps.

Thanks Vitoid, i'm not expert to :star_smile: , think i understand what happens and it's not a so good news for those like me who have a 1280x800 monitor :

When you have a 1920x1200 dell studio you can have this resolution with edit boot Plist:

1024x768 for 1280x800

1152 X 864 for 1440x900

1600*1200 for 1920x1200

but when you have a 1280x800 dell studio monitor you can only have 1024x768 ;)

Let's continue and one day we'll manage to run this F****** card

I think you maybe right about the video but, I will back up to my second partition and try to put in the higher res than I should be allowed because if it is converting the size down some the down sized res is still below the 1280x800..... Also Boombeng I see in your sig that you audio is not working. I have made a tiger kext with adjusted pinconfig and NID's so while it is not perfect you can at least have audio and volume adjustment is done via software.

Mark

I have already tried to set a higher resolution than can run my 1280 screen but it didn't work, i hope you will be able, about the audio, i follow your work with age sabre18's trick but for the moment i didn't take time to make it run... may be you can send me the kext you made by MP

/Edit : I found your audio kexts thanks

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...udio&st=128

It's very great to see dell studio's problems getting slowly resolved thanks guys like you

cheers

Jim

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
Thanks Vitoid, i'm not expert to :P , think i understand what happens and it's not a so good news for those like me who have a 1280x800 monitor :

When you have a 1920x1200 dell studio you can have this resolution with edit boot Plist:

1024x768 for 1280x800

1152 X 864 for 1440x900

1600*1200 for 1920x1200

but when you have a 1280x800 dell studio monitor you can only have 1024x768 :rolleyes:

Let's continue and one day we'll manage to run this F****** card

So if I have a 1440x900 display on my HP Pavilion dv7 I can't have resolution more than 1152x864? :-( i tried change resolution from 1024x768 to 1152x864 and it works. It works without drivers from Dell Post Install Package, I changed only .plist file. But i want to have widescreen resolution, not only 4:3 1152x864 resolution. Does anybody know, how to solve it? :(