Deleting posts...

6 posts in this topic

OK - I put a quick tip in the genius bar area that showed how to use safaristand and google to bypass the lame (and it is lame) search function of this board.

It was summarily deleted, no warning, no edit, no nothing... like it never existed.

it used to be here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=132993. Google still points to it...

I'm not offended that a moderator may take exception with the way I phrased the title (which I'm guessing is what happened), but it does suck that someone would just totally delete a member's post with no explanation... it could have been edited, etc.

There was nothing offensive in the post, and I'm pretty sure it didn't break any rules or TOS.

What gives?

• 1 month later...

The same thing just happened to me. :( I only registered recently and my first post admittedly was a bit rambling. I was told I had made a lazy post as I wandered too much and asked too many questions all at once. I apologized (responder was correct), reposted a smaller and more direct question and then - POOF, no trace of my more focused repost. my thoughts were erased.

I am nervous about continuing here and trusting this space as this is a very big undertaking for me. I am wiling to take feedback and to post more clearly, but shock and awe, slash and burn, and more draconian methods of edits really don't work that well for me. Kinder and gentler methods work much better (for me). At least notify me that I have been killed. Sheesh.

I am beginning to understand now how frustrating it must be to get the same dumb beginner questions asked over and over again. I didn't search very thoroughly before posting - although in my defense I felt I Was staring into the headlights of an oncoming truck. I felt overwhelmed and I Had to start somewhere.

Ummm, yeah.

Had another post unceremoniously deleted yesterday, regarding someone injecting comments into my conforming signature and how mod time might be better spent moderating the some of the more hugely vapid-comment-laden run-on threads here.

Maybe this place should just be read-only?

Check where are you posting your topics, Tutorials (aka Genius Bar) and New Releases has special guidelines, very few read those guidelines.

Um, yeah but ... If the rules are so important here, no one should be illegally hacking the mac os, right? Talking about not reading something. I won't tell if you don't. :)

All I ask, or comment to suggest is that this could be done kindly and civilly, just say hey, wrong spot for that, you want to move it or I will delete it. Whatever.

Ummm, yeah.

Had another post unceremoniously deleted yesterday, regarding someone injecting comments into my conforming signature and how mod time might be better spent moderating the some of the more hugely vapid-comment-laden run-on threads here.

Maybe this place should just be read-only?

Oh boy, it's the MacAddict boards all over again...