iDeneb via vmware detects intel core 2 solo?

3 posts in this topic

Hey guys! I recently loaded up the iDeneb release of OS X via vmware. Sorry for the noobish questions here. The vm runs pretty damn well all things considered. I have an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz processor, and the only thing that is weird is that OS X tells me I'm using an Intel Core 2 Solo. Why is it only detecting one core? I tried an obvious fix in the configuration of vmware and specified 2 processors instead of just one, but I don't really think that applies for me since it's not really 2 processors, just 2 cores. My question is, is there a way to have OS X detect both cores, and would it actually speed up the performance of the vm?

also, sorry to be a bit off my original topic here, but I want to put about 8gb of RAM in my computer and run a 64bit host OS. Does OS X have any RAM limitations? I'd like to specify 4 or more gigs of RAM to the vm once I upgrade the hardware. Just curious to see if it would be possible, and if it'd be worth it. RAM is so dirt cheap nowadays, and I'd like for my machine to dish out multiple vm's as seemlessly as possible.

thanks so much for your time and assistance.

I may have fixed my problem. prior to my last post I adjusted the number of processors in vmware to 2, and the operating system would get a kernel panic and simply reboot. i remedied the situation by selecting a different "preffered mode" under the Execution mode options. it was currently set on Automatic. Changing it to Intel-VT seemed to do the trick. now OS X detects a 2 x 2.4ghz Core 2 Solo..

it has improved performance slightly. nothing worth jumping up for joy about though. seems to make it boot quicker, but thats about it.

also, sorry to be a bit off my original topic here, but I want to put about 8gb of RAM in my computer and run a 64bit host OS. Does OS X have any RAM limitations? I'd like to specify 4 or more gigs of RAM to the vm once I upgrade the hardware. Just curious to see if it would be possible, and if it'd be worth it. RAM is so dirt cheap nowadays, and I'd like for my machine to dish out multiple vm's as seemlessly as possible.

thanks so much for your time and assistance.

I dont know about RAM limitation, but you can use 8GB RAM, i think no Problem!