Question about migrating old data & programs to new Hackintosh

riker1384

2 posts in this topic

I hope this isn't too much of a newbie question.

I'm about to build a Hackintosh and try to install some version of Leopard. My current mac is G4 eMac with Tiger. I have an external disk with a bootable backup which is out of date, and also a recent backup which is located in a disk image on the same disk. I'm wondering if I will have any trouble moving all my stuff from the old system to the new. Besides the usual applications and documents, I have things like web pages that are stored in a directory maintained by a Firefox extension called Scrapbook, and I was wondering if I should expect to be able to preserve things like that. (and bookmarks, etc.)

Also, this is the first computer I'm going to build, as well as my first Hackintosh. I was thinking of installing one of the hacked versions of the OS, and once I know I've got the computer together and running right I could install a retail version later. Is there anything wrong with this plan? Would I have trouble switching from one to the other, or would it be a lot easier to just use the retail version from the start?

You can restore your users and files via the "Migration Assistant" in Applications/Utilites.

I wouldn't recommend blindly copying all of the top level files and applications unless you're sure they work on your new system. All of the user files (home directories) can be copied without risks, though.

Hint: You can't migrate your old user to the new system if the new user name is the same as the one you're recovering (can't overwrite itself). In this case you can just create a second temporary user with administrative rights from which to run the migration assistant.

Good luck!