AnV PCGenRTL8139 V1.4.1

Andy Vandijck

7 posts in this topic

I've been working on the RTL8139 driver.

orByte has made a patch in the past (PCGenRTL8139 V1.2.0).

Since I have this kind of card, I wanted it to perform everything fast and perfect...

Enjoy another one of my releases :)

In the zip you'll find the binary + sources + installer package.

Binary will be installed under IONetworkingFamily.kext PlugIns.

Installer also checks for old versions and removes these.

EDIT: New version with patched out debugger procedures

You guys where right, it was SLOW, but minus debugger and some small code optimizations further it works great.

I am using right now my Hackbook so...

Try it, should work a lot better for you.

NOTE: I saw that whenever stuff began going slow, disable + enable adapter under network settings, everything back very fast... :)

PCGenRTL8139Ethernet_141_AnV_Src.zip

I've been working on the RTL8139 driver.

orByte has made a patch in the past (PCGenRTL8139 V1.2.0).

Since I have this kind of card, I wanted it to perform everything fast and perfect...

Enjoy another one of my releases :)

In the zip you'll find the binary + sources + installer package.

Binary will be installed under IONetworkingFamily.kext PlugIns.

Installer also checks for old versions and removes these.

Right, and my usual question is What did you change ? Why is it any better than the other versions ?

Right, and my usual question is What did you change ? Why is it any better than the other versions ?

Source is included, check for yourself...

Compare VS AppleRTL8139.

Then you'll see, it is a bit much to list all...

Problematic performance. Slowed down response times, page load times etc. compared to 1.2 version... keep working on it. Not ready for prime time.

Thanks for the feedback, could you provide me some more details so that I can trace it down?

The more info, the better...

I'll keep working on it.

Not Sure where the problem lies but w/ 1.2 installed all internet activities were instantaneous... no lag... values were modified by MacPilot to be optimized for broadband. Swapped out your kext to check it out and there were numerous delays (altough delay is a relative term... response was still workable, it just seemed to stop and parse every transaction before proceeding and transfer stopped a few times requiring DHCP renewal. Not sure why but 1.2 seems to be the most stable Mod ive encountered. What are you trying to improve on? is there room to squeeze more performance out because mine seems fully optimized the way it is...

Not Sure where the problem lies but w/ 1.2 installed all internet activities were instantaneous... no lag... values were modified by MacPilot to be optimized for broadband. Swapped out your kext to check it out and there were numerous delays (altough delay is a relative term... response was still workable, it just seemed to stop and parse every transaction before proceeding and transfer stopped a few times requiring DHCP renewal. Not sure why but 1.2 seems to be the most stable Mod ive encountered. What are you trying to improve on? is there room to squeeze more performance out because mine seems fully optimized the way it is...

Could be, there is some (empty) code under an #ifdef NOT_YET...

I checked and I saw that it could be used to reset the host when the line loses link and so.

Next release...

This one allready contains no Kernel Debugger attached, I've tested it (corrected version) worked like a charm and fast

NOTE: It was at first also slow.

I did the following:

- Install kext in extensions

- Reboot PC

- boot with boot flags "-v -f"

- After boot I went to the System Preferences - Network

- I clicked on automatic, DHCP

- Put it to disabled

- Clicked apply

- Put it back to DHCP

-> No more problems

Try it please and let me know if that also solves everything...