Installation of Chameleon, EFi-string, etc?

raggedjagged

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

After I install Osx86 10.5.5 (using iDeneb v1.3 here), how do I install Chameleon, EFI-String and boot-132 etc?

As I understand, those things sort of make your installation more "native" and also support updates in the future. Am I wrong in assuming that? I also hear that you don't need special patches for graphics cards when you install EFI-Strings, since it natively communicates with OS X on what my graphics card is?

Can someone please help me understand those things, and install them?

Thanks a lot. :censored2:

boot-132 is an installation method using a retail OS X dvd and a boot-132 syslinux iso, if you've already installed iDeneb 10.5.5, you cannot do boot-132.

chameleon is a fake-EFI bootloader that can be found at the website ( chameleon DOT osx86 DOT hu ), link to the installer from within OS X (dmg) is on the right-hand side of the page.

EFI strings are a hex string generated from mapping the firmware and PCI/PCI-E slot of the graphics card.. you can use gfxutil to generate it manually.. there are walkthroughs all over the graphics card section... some people like to use the program EFIstudio though..

boot-132 is an installation method using a retail OS X dvd and a boot-132 syslinux iso, if you've already installed iDeneb 10.5.5, you cannot do boot-132.

Okay, but after I have a successful installation already, do I still need it?? Is it necessary to make the system work more smoothly and allow future updates?

chameleon is a fake-EFI bootloader that can be found at the website ( chameleon DOT osx86 DOT hu ), link to the installer from within OS X (dmg) is on the right-hand side of the page.

Okay, but what exactly does it do? Does it somehow make the system more "native" or "mac-like", in that the OS is more compatible with the hardware and make future updates from Apple possible?

EFI strings are a hex string generated from mapping the firmware and PCI/PCI-E slot of the graphics card.. you can use gfxutil to generate it manually.. there are walkthroughs all over the graphics card section... some people like to use the program EFIstudio though..

And why is this better than NVInject or NVkush?

Thanks for your help! ;)

Okay, but after I have a successful installation already, do I still need it?? Is it necessary to make the system work more smoothly and allow future updates?

Boot-132 updating still requires AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext to be disabled, which causes kernel panics when updating from Apple, just like every other system. Boot-132 is just 'more vanilla' than other installs.

Okay, but what exactly does it do? Does it somehow make the system more "native" or "mac-like", in that the OS is more compatible with the hardware and make future updates from Apple possible?

It allows use of the vanilla (non-modified) darwin kernel.. which is closer to a stock Mac.

Some people debate that it is better, it's usually a matter of preference..

Hey,

No, if you have a successful installation w/ iDeneb your fine. If you are running the vanilla kernel then you update (System Updates are a little trickier) from apple w/o breaking your system. People use Boot-132 to get there systems as close to a mac as possible, but Boot-132 has no true performance advantages than a normal distro (Boot 132 is more legit since your using a legal os x install disc too)

Chameleon emulates the EFI (external firmware interface) on you computer so the operating system thinks that its a mac. Normal intel macs do not have a BIOS, they use EFI instead. The purpose of chameleon is so you can run the vanilla kernel and sometimes add drivers to the com.apple.boot.plist nulling the use of injectors.

Because these injectors have to be constantly updated after apple releases a software system update. The best example was after the 10.5.3 and none of the nvinject worked (Creating nvKush). EFI strings normally will allow your drivers to remain fully functional after an update.

Here you can find how to add your graphics card into the com.apple.boot.plist

Best of luck and pm me for anything else