What's disabled on an unlocked iPhone?

ukdmbfan

9 posts in this topic

I have an unlocked iPhone with an O2 pay-as-you-go SIM card, and I just wanted to get an idea of what's actually disabled/doesn't work in terms of the core features, and the technical reasons as to why.

For example, I can't get a location based app to find my location on my iPhone - Google Maps, LocateMe, a simple app I threw together that just returns coordinates etc. so I presume this means that "GPS" (or it's 2G location calculator equivalent) is disabled. However, if it grabs this on the 2G iPhone based on cell towers/Wi-Fi, why doesn't it work? It's got a signal and I can use it as a phone, as well as through Wi-Fi, so surely it should just be able to calculate it's position the same?

Also, what core features are definitely disabled? Does EDGE/GPRS internet not work for any unlocked SIM? Is there no way to make GPS work either?

• 2 weeks later...

You can not use locator service in maps without an internet connection of some sort.

On the first generation IPHONE (not the 3G model) there is no GPS and the calculation is made the the cell towers around you so its not very precise.

Everything works on the jailbroken IPHONE or should i say more things work thats why its called jailbroken.

I'm quite curious about this myself... the only truly unlocked iPhone 3Gs I know of are only available in Hong Kong, where they're actually unlocked right from the start.

Several european countries have laws that protect customers from forcing them to one mobile provider, so not only in Hong Kong there are unlocked phones (no matter which brand).

• 2 months later...