Booting, not booting, booting, not booting.

gadgetsboyj

9 posts in this topic

Hi. I am using a Dell Inspiron E1705/9400 with Kalyway Leopard 10.5.2. I have 2 problems. 1st, when I turn on my PC, it works fine. Then if I decide to restart at any time, then the Apple logo shows up but I get no HD activity and a circle with a slash comes up (like the thing over a cigarette in a no smoking sign). Also, if I leave my WD PocketDrive plugged in, I can't even get to the Apple logo. That only started however, after I reinstalled Leopard because Vista corrupted my HD. Any help?

• 2 weeks later...
Try to purposely get the boot issue again. When you boot up, at the Darwin prompt, type -v and get out a camera and snap a photo.

Its not a problem that I would need to recreate. When you boot up in verbose and this problem happens, it takes about 2 minutes and then says "Still Waiting for Root Device".

The still waiting for root device sounds like a hard drive issue. Well, not your hard drive, but the controller for your hard drive. What PATA/SATA controller do you have? Maybe there is a patch on the installation disc for your controller you can install to get it working correctly.

The still waiting for root device sounds like a hard drive issue. Well, not your hard drive, but the controller for your hard drive. What PATA/SATA controller do you have? Maybe there is a patch on the installation disc for your controller you can install to get it working correctly.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for:

From System Profiler:

Serial-ATA Bus:

SAMSUNG HM120JI:

Capacity: 110.39 GB

Model: SAMSUNG HM120JI

Revision: YF100-15

Serial Number: S09GJ10L816747

Removable Media: No

Detachable Drive: No

BSD Name: disk0

Protocol: ata

Unit Number: 0

Socket Type: Serial-ATA

Mac OS 9 Drivers: No

Partition Map Type: MBR (Master Boot Record)

S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified

Volumes:

Macintosh HD:

Capacity: 110.39 GB

Available: 58.49 GB

Writable: Yes

File System: Journaled HFS+

BSD Name: disk0s1

Mount Point: /

• 6 months later...

Alright guys, I never got an answer. I just recently got another HD and an OOTB Wi-Fi Card so, I'm back on Leopard. It still does the same thing and it IS definitely the "Still Waiting for Root Device" Problem. I just don't understand why its literally every other time. The SATA controller is: Intel® 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7-M Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C4

• 2 months later...