Gigabyte EP35-DS4 (good choice)

4 posts in this topic

Hey,

After reading a lot in this forum I've decided to create my own Hackintosh. However, I am still wondering if I picked the right hardware!

Motherboard: Gigabyte EP35-DS4

CPU: Intel Q6600

RAM: 4GB G.Skill DDR2-800

Graphic Card: Still unsure, thought of a GF 9400 or ATI HD 2600 Pro or XT

I've read somewhere that the EP35-DS4 has problems with the SATA ports when 4GB Ram are installed. I looked furhter, but couldn't find more posts on that. That is really important for me, because I've got 6 HDDs and I'd like to install another one soon.

What do you think of that configuration? Any recommendations for a low budget graphic card?

Is it possible to install Leopard on that configuration with the vanilla kernel?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Hey,

After reading a lot in this forum I've decided to create my own Hackintosh. However, I am still wondering if I picked the right hardware!

Motherboard: Gigabyte EP35-DS4

CPU: Intel Q6600

RAM: 4GB G.Skill DDR2-800

Graphic Card: Still unsure, thought of a GF 9400 or ATI HD 2600 Pro or XT

I've read somewhere that the EP35-DS4 has problems with the SATA ports when 4GB Ram are installed. I looked furhter, but couldn't find more posts on that. That is really important for me, because I've got 6 HDDs and I'd like to install another one soon.

What do you think of that configuration? Any recommendations for a low budget graphic card?

Is it possible to install Leopard on that configuration with the vanilla kernel?

Thanks a lot for your help!

I have this board, and while it works great for Hackintosh, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it over some of the newer models. It's been discontinued, so its hard to find a new one.

There's no problem with the 6 yellow/orange SATA ports and I'm not sure there's any specific issue related to 4GB of RAM- I use 4GB and have 5 of the 6 yellow/orange SATA ports in use and everything works great. The main thing is the additional two purple SATA ports- they don't seem to work with OS X because they use a different controller. If you need more than 6 SATA drives in OSX, this is not the board to use.

Graphic card- check the HCL wiki. I don't think the 9400 is supported.

Apparently you went ahead with the EP35-DS4... I like this one, personally, but my system case won't support more than 4 internal HDDs, so it's fine for my needs. My thought, when reading your post was that there are only 6 SATA connectors that seem to work with OS X (though it may be that there are new developments which add support for the other two, I don't know). In any case, I'd assume you also want an optical drive and I think that also needs to be SATA, so that leaves "only" 5 SATA ports available for use.

Of course you could add a couple more SATA ports with a PCI card advertised with Mac-compatibility, perhaps. I see quite a few on NewEgg (pre-formatted search), at a variety of pricepoints.

Hope you've worked out your graphic card (or display) issues and are now happy with your system. :)

As I have a PC with a EVGA NForce 680i with Q6600 2,4Ghz @ 3,2GHz (Watercooled).

8GB RAM, Vista Ultimate 64bit, Geforce 8800GT (Overclocked).

I guess I will by me the EP35-DS4. I think about buying a bgger CPU like the

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 2,67GHz @ 4,00Ghz.

Will I have problems with that CPU and Leo4All?!?!