Mac Pro Logic Board Replaced...am I screwed?

3 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

To make a very long story short:

My 1st Gen Mac Pro was having some major crashing problems. I couldn't afford to have Apple replace the board (which is what they said I need to do) for over 1000 bucks. I ended up buying a new board from www.mac-pro.com. I spoke with someone at mac-pro.com (Ed) and was told it was new and works great. The board including shipping and instructions cost me 500 bucks. I got the board and installed it myself (took like 6 hours).

Everything worked perfect at the first boot. It was great. I was not getting any crashes and the computer was like new again. I backed up everything before the new board and wiped clean all my drives to start over.

I fixed up my drives again and was ready to put XP back on my computer via Bootcamp. I was having nothing but problems. I would get to a certain point then crash. Thats a whole other problem that I don't want to get into. So today I decided I would sell the machine (to someone who does not care for boot camp). I was going through the specs via "About this Mac" ->"More info..." and found something strange:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac

Model Identifier: M43ADP1,1

Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Number Of Processors: 2

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB

Memory: 10 GB

Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz

Boot ROM Version: AAPLM431.004E.B00

SMC Version: 1.7f0

Serial Number: System Serial#

I have looked at this before and it was different. I don't remember specifically but I think the model identifier said something like Mac Pro 1,1. I am wondering if this has anything to do with the boot camp problems I have been having. The Serial number is also obviously wrong. I understand that the logic board is not the same as the original and that the ROM is off. I tried installing some EFI ROM updates which failed because "This computer does not need this ROM" (or something like that).

If I knew that the different motherboard was going to cause a problem like this, I would have borrowed the money somehow and paid apple to do it right. Now I know that I cannot get a refund from mac-pro.com, only a replacement. I have flashed the PRAM and SMC with no luck.

Thanks a lot for reading my long a$$ story and I would really appreciate any help at all. Am I screwed?

Macsimus11