Installing XP on a Hackintosh with OSX already installed, possible?

5 posts in this topic

I've got two equal partitions (MBR) on one HD with OSX 10.5.2 installed on the second and working fine (hence not wanting to wipe & start again) I've tried installing XP on the 1st boot partition (only using the OSX Win Dos Fat32 partion, not reformating as NTFS, is this the prob?) but I believe installing XP always corrupts the bootloader, preventing my PC (Shuttle SD32G2) from loading any OS/booting.

I think the prob is I'm using the Kalaway 10.5.2 install DVD to partition the drive, and I believe it also installs the Darwin boot loader, wether I want it to or not, which gets corrupted as soon as I've tried to install windows.

I've got the OSX086 tool which allows me to install a different bootloader, but think this could foobar my current install (or break instead of overwrite the darwin bootloader).

Anyone got any idea on how to install XP without knackering my current OSX install?

I have installed xp/vista after OSX on the same hard drive many times. Never had an issue.

What I would do is mark the partition you want to put xp on as active, then install xp as normal. After xp is installed, use an osx86 disk to boot you into your osx install. Install chameleon, mark osx partition as active, reboot. Should get bootloader prompt showing osx, as well as whatever your windows partition is named.

How can I mark either partition active if I cannot boot into it?

Say if the active OSX install/partition becomes unactive due to XP being installed, but not booting

One thing I forgot to mention is, when I startup my PC to install XP (whether I've installed the Mac OS or not) after partioning my HD with disk utility, I get a message saying something similar to-

This install will change corrupt the bootloader, this message is from Phoenix; the people I believe who provide the BIOS for my Shuttle.

For Anyone who encounters a similar prob, my issue was caused by two things I think;

Firstly, after formatting and correctly partitioning the drive with Disk Utility (Win Dos /Fat32 for Windows on the first partition, HFS+ for Mac on the second) then rebooting (i.e. Don't install Mac OSX or the bootloader YET) I deleted the the Win Dos partition (listed by the XP install disk as Fat 32), created a new partition (Raw) in this space, and formatted as NTFS, after the XP install disk has finished copying the install prep files to this partition, your PC will reboot, and you'll need at this point to remove the XP install DVD BEFORE the PC starts up again, or the NTLdetec file will become corrupt, and your XP install will not proceed, you 'll just go in a loop forever, installing the installer files, but not actually getting to install/set up windows.