Best Network Adaptor

Danhrules

3 posts in this topic

I've ran OSX on my PC before, but kept having the network cut out after ~1 hour use (VIA VT6102 Rhine II). I eventually gave up and went back to Windows :)

I'm wanting to install OSX again, but need a recommendation for a NIC card which works out the box. I was thinking of getting Apple's USB Ethernet adaptor as I assume it would work.

Would it? Or does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks!!

I've ran OSX on my PC before, but kept having the network cut out after ~1 hour use (VIA VT6102 Rhine II). I eventually gave up and went back to Windows :)

I'm wanting to install OSX again, but need a recommendation for a NIC card which works out the box. I was thinking of getting Apple's USB Ethernet adaptor as I assume it would work.

Would it? Or does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks!!

Yes, it does by all accounts......I have used a RTL8169 NIC myself...... :) Although you may want see if there are upadted Rhine drivers, e.g. in this thread.....

The second-best of the onboard Ethernet solutions (however, one that is no longer common) comes from, of all people, Intel; specifically, it's the 8254X series of onboard Ethernet controllers (in particular, the CSA gigabit Ethernet controller known as either the PRO/1000CT, PRO/1000MT, and PRO/1000T) and was part of Intel's 8xx and 9xx series of chipsets before being replaced by the Marvell Yukon gigabit Ethernet controller; it was most common as part of the 865PE and 875P AGPset's northbridge).

This particular driver has been part of Darwin from the beginning, and is one of the few drivers that remain in OS X Leopard that are pretty much untouched from Darwin (it's also one reason I am not looking forward to moving away from this motherboard; the networking Just Plain Works, which is usually NOT the case with most of the likely motherboards I'd move to). The only reason that it's not the best of the onboard Ethernet solutions is because of it being no longer so ubiquitous (Intel, much to my chagrin, replaced it with Marvell Yukon Ethernet on their own-branded motherboards, which I still have NOT forgiven them for, starting with the 955 Express chipset; some third-party motherboards with Intel chipsets have onboard Ethernet from Realtek). While the RTL8139 is indeed commonplace (both onboard and in card-based form; my Mom has a Realtek-based Ethernet adapter), Intel they aren't.