Replacement of a 4965 by a Atheros AR5BXB72

kmikase

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys, i've replaced my intel 4965 AGN by an Atheros AR5BXB72 AGN. It work just great in leo and in Vista.

But i have a problem with antennas.

img0017xw6.jpg

So in the laptop, the atheros is plugged and on the right it is the Intel.

As you can see, from the left to the right, numbers of antennas are 1 3 2 and the cable where like this on the Intel :

1 => black

3 => grey

2 => white

The Atheros looks pretty much the same as the intel except that numbers for antennas are

2 1 0 (still from left to right)

So i'm a bit lost. I would have been easier if it was 0 2 1 but it is not the case ;)

So for the moment i've plugged antennas like ont the intel (i mean by colors from the left to the right)

so it is black grey white (connected on 2 1 0)

Can anyone tells me if i did right or wrong by connecting like this or if i have to follow exactly numbers to plug antennas. and so connect

2 => grey

1 => white

0 => black

My wifi seems to work normaly but i'm using it with a normal wireless router.

thanks

i may be wrong, but i think each of those wires is connected to a small antenna hidden in the display cover, if my thought is right,no matter how you connect it, it will work the same.

i had and intel too and swapped out for a broadcom,which is G only (2 antennas) so i left one of my wires disconnected (grey), using my laptop at home i didn't seen network problems on any room of my house, same signal strenght as before with intel, so just experiment, you will found the answer by yourself.

In fact i did the same at first. I replaced the intel by a broadcom BCM94321CM which had only 2 antennas (but was n, but not MIMO). But for this case it was easy it was only wire 1 & 2. Black on the left and white on the right. And like you did i left the last one unplugged. But what you said is my point, is the place of the antennas important ? Because i want to profit of the MIMO

• 4 weeks later...

hi guys, i´m newbie at this forum but i want to share the next idea about how to improve the wifi power signal by attaching a external anntena to the laptop.

I got a macbook white 2.4GHz and im interested to replace the default atheros wifi card to Atheros AR5BXB72 because this one have three antenna connections.

My actually wifi card has only two antenna connector, so after the replacement there will be one connector free.

What im pretending is provide a direct connection from laptop outside to the free connector by using any kind of cable and then plug a external antenna, like routers antennas, with the aim to improve significantly wifi signal.

Is anybody interested in this project? i understand that this idea is applicable to any wifi card with three antenna connectors.

by now im waiting for the new Atheros AR5BXB72 wifi card

regards

hi guys, i´m newbie at this forum but i want to share the next idea about how to improve the wifi power signal by attaching a external anntena to the laptop.

I got a macbook white 2.4GHz and im interested to replace the default atheros wifi card to Atheros AR5BXB72 because this one have three antenna connections.

My actually wifi card has only two antenna connector, so after the replacement there will be one connector free.

What im pretending is provide a direct connection from laptop outside to the free connector by using any kind of cable and then plug a external antenna, like routers antennas, with the aim to improve significantly wifi signal.

Is anybody interested in this project? i understand that this idea is applicable to any wifi card with three antenna connectors.

by now im waiting for the new Atheros AR5BXB72 wifi card

regards

just like this, but with style ;)!!

http://mtarena.blogspot.com/2006/06/add-ex...-connector.html

• 1 year later...

Hi everybody,

I just got an Atheros AR5BXB72 on eBay on order to have my Hackintosh fully functional.

My configuration is :

Dell E6400 14"

Core 2 Duo P9700 2,80Ghz 6Mo

4Go DDR2

nVidia Quadro 160M 256 Mo 1440x900

Intel 5100 a/b/g/n

I've got on port miniPCI and another one micro miniPCI (half of the normal size of a miniPCIe)

I removed my 5100 from the micro miniPCIe in order to put my new Airport card on the miniPCI port.

I put the black connector on the 1 and the white one on the 0.

On Seven it's working but nothing happens on Mac OS X 10.6.2 Vanilla Install.

Can you guys help me to make it works ?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Claymm.

• 6 months later...

Sorry for my english. Maybe you can find the answer in this post http://en.dogeno.us/2009/07/upgrade-thinkp...d-work-as-well/ or with the lenovo's t61 service manual from here: http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pc.../42x3546_03.pdf where is the description of the 4965 connections and in that post: http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pc.../42x3554_02.pdf where is the description for the atheros and 4965 In conclussion I think that the order is : color=atheros=4965=type grey=2=TR1=main white=1=R0=MIMO black=0=TR2=Aux.

Maybe I'm wrong but i think that's the way it works