Zero kb folder...!

Rwild

5 posts in this topic

;) I have a 3 TB music collection and have been in the process of switching all of my HDDs over to Mac OS extended. Well, I recently did a clean install of my Hackintosh as I played with it a little too much... Well, played with it beyond repair. Anyways, now that I am in this new install, I see that one of my folders on an NTFS drive is showing up as an unreadable file with th size of zero kb. Thing is, my disk is still as full as it should be if the folder were functioning properly.

Is there a way to go in and fix this? I have access to a windows machine if it would make it easier. These files are irreplacable so any input would be greatly appreciated...

:blink: I have a 3 TB music collection and have been in the process of switching all of my HDDs over to Mac OS extended. Well, I recently did a clean install of my Hackintosh as I played with it a little too much... Well, played with it beyond repair. Anyways, now that I am in this new install, I see that one of my folders on an NTFS drive is showing up as an unreadable file with th size of zero kb. Thing is, my disk is still as full as it should be if the folder were functioning properly.

Is there a way to go in and fix this? I have access to a windows machine if it would make it easier. These files are irreplacable so any input would be greatly appreciated...

You can try running chkdisk on it from Windows.

On another note, if the files are "irreplacable" then having a backup *might* be a good idea ?

Also, if you're using a Hackintosh, is it really a good idea to put all your data on a filesystem that's not well supported by any other OS'es? I'm guessing not, but that's just me.

The drives that have been converted to Mac OS Extended are backed up... Slow process which takes cash and time. Neither of which I have massive amounts kicking around. Thanks for the tip. Still looking for something that can be done in OS X.

Also, I am fully aware of drive issues arising when using NTFS in Mac. Hence me formating them all over again. I'm not clueless as to what I should and shouldn't be doing... Just trying to rectify a drive error.

Also, I am fully aware of drive issues arising when using NTFS in Mac. Hence me formating them all over again. I'm not clueless as to what I should and shouldn't be doing... Just trying to rectify a drive error.

Didn't mean to imply you were clueless.

Only that I would not switch all my drives to hfs+ unless I was switching over to a real Mac for good. ;)

BTW not sure what issues? you're talking about, I haven't run into any using ntfs-3g. Of course turning logging off on those drives is a must, but I'm sure you already knew that.

Good luck.

Yeah, I've had a few instances of blackouts at my house... So, not every time the drives are dismounted properly.

I read (somewhere) that inconsistencies can arise in NTFS formatted disks when using them repeatedly with OS X. I have never encountered this problem with files before so it sure does make me wonder.

I will look into hfs+ as I've never even thought about it. Thanks for the tip. :)