File names are labeled Green?

raziiq

12 posts in this topic

hi i am new to mac world.

i have installed Kalyway 10.5.2 successfully with default drivers. I was browsing my Computer Files and i saw that there are some files in my System/extensions which are labeled green, why is this so?

Also i noticed that my AppleAC97Audio.kext file is green which i think is my Audio Driver and i m also having some problems with my audio at times.

Any suggestion???

The colour is nothing, Right Click on it and Change the colour! You probably downloaded the audio kext from one of my posts, i always make them green once they have been tested so that I can keep track of what is original system kexts and which are added afterwards! It makes no difference in the working of the kext!

SticMAN

Hi raziiq,

SticMAN is right. The green (7 colours in total) highlighted kexts are the ones that were replaced by the guy who created the distro or the patch you installed. The colour labeles are only used as a visual marker (like a text marker) in order see whether it is an original or a modified kext file.

thanks for the help , means that the colors are nothing to do with my system. ok i got that. :)

Also my Audio is not working, infact its working but not to fullest. For example if i m playing any song in iTunes and at the same time some file is downloaded, the sound of the downloaded file and the song have a clash and my song stops for a while. Also in my Info window of mac i have no Audio Drivers Installed, why is that so??

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x1458A102

Audio ID: 12

Available Devices:

Speaker:

Connection: 1/8 inch Jack

Microphone:

Connection: 1/8 inch Jack

S/P-DIF Out:

Connection: Internal

To see this screen in the About This Mac, More Info. I need to install the HDAEabler.kext, otherwise it is blank.

Your motherboard may be different then mine. You have to check what kext is required for it to show.

HDAEnabler is NOT mainboard specific!

You can download any one for that, Your AppleHDA.kext seems to be fine as you already have partial sound, remember to remove alcinject.kext if you install HDAenabler!

(it is not going to make your sound work better, it is just going to show up in hte "About this Mac" Profiler.

SticMAN

thanks for the help but can you please tell me where to find HDAEnabler.kext for my motherboard??

i think these green and red labeled files have to do something with the system, i mean they have some meaning, as i was having some problem with my audio sometimes back and i noticed that in Extensions folder my AudioXXX.kext (whatever the exact file name was) was highlighted red, so i reinstalled my Audio and the file was back to normal.

You've already been told that your kernel extensions names appear in different colors because they have been marked by their authors or by whoever put together your install DVD.

The color of the name have absolutely no impact on functionality! It's just a color.

If you don't like it you can change it back yourself by right-clicking and selecting "get info".

I've found the marking of modified kernel extensions to be extremely helpful when updating my system.