My OSX86 G4 System Finished!

enjoyfebruary

5 posts in this topic

Ok so its done. Since my last post I mounted the motherboard, got my really (too) long power and sata cables and installed OSX. The heatsink i ended up using is the Scythe Shuriken low profile cooler. It keeps the system around 45c even though there is only about 2mm of clearance between it and the power supply. I can say that this was a very fun first mod for me. I installed OSX with the Kalyway 10.5.2 disc and updated via the patched 10.5.5 found on this forum. Everything went super smooth and pretty effortlessly. Occasionally I'll need to restart due to an app freezing, but thats about it. I've got full graphics capabilities and the only thing that doesn't work is the built in audio. The audio not working isn't even an issue since i bus all the audio through Digidesign hardware. For anyone wondering, I'm using Pro Tools LE 7.4 without any hiccups. Anyway, Thanks to everyone who has posted about this topic. I really couldn't have figured any of this out without you guys. Take care. Dan

DSC00609.jpg

DSC00614.jpg

DSC00646.jpg

DSC00647.jpg

DSC00648.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Can I ask you how did you make the panel working? Is there some pin layout you've found? I'm doing a very similar mod... please let me know!

doing up the front panel is easy, just use an exacto knife and cut out the light green pcb to the buttons on the front panel so they dont interfere with the others.

then using some extra wires and a soldering iron you can then solder in the leads to each button then you can connect the front panel to your mobo.

-D-

• 2 months later...
doing up the front panel is easy, just use an exacto knife and cut out the light green pcb to the buttons on the front panel so they dont interfere with the others.

then using some extra wires and a soldering iron you can then solder in the leads to each button then you can connect the front panel to your mobo.

-D-

Hi Nice mod u have. I'm trying to do it now too...may I know where u got the front panel pin layout?