NVidia 8800 GTS 512mb now on MacPro

TCMW

10 posts in this topic

On the Apple Store is now possible to configure a MacPro with a 8800 GTS (G92) 512mb.

Since I have an Inno3d card sitting around... I was wondering if it would be possible to make it work in a (real) MacPro, flashing the rom with a Pc (without touching kexts and messing around with injectors on my Mac...)

Cheers

-Naymaxoe

MMM... I heard that. Apparently chips have a different capacity.

So they actually produce TWO different circuit boards? Sounds industrially expensive.

If we are lucky the latest products could be the same... except for the rom.

There are people who flashed 8800 GTS with Mac 8800 GT's rom.

I found this thread

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=434092

But that was before GTS was available for MacPro.

I guess that what we need is someone to dump the graphic card's rom from his just shipped MacPro w/8800GTS :)

I'm not convinced that attempting to install the "latest and greatest" anything in a Mac is, well, a good idea anyway. The device drivers sometimes take a while (longer, it seems than a PC) to get up to speed to offer, speedy, bug free, operation. The video cards, too, are somewhat conservative in their timings, and clock speeds, compared to a PC, good for stability, and reliability, but not so good for splashing out a bunch of cash, and being a bit disappointed with the result.

I am not attempting to tell anyone what to do, but pointing out that your mileage might vary, in certain situations.

I get your point and I agree, that's why I never attempted to run any unsupported device on my Mac (different story for my hack, for obvious reasons).

But since Apple started supporting the GTS (and we all now that yes, it's not the latest, best performing graphic card on the market, so eventually it took them some time to get rock-solid drivers) there shouldn't be -in my opinion- any big issue in having a fully-supported card to work with our hardware.

By the way, if my research is not wrong, 8800 GTS 512 comes out of the factory with a 128k EEPROM :D

if my research is not wrong, 8800 GTS 512 comes out of the factory with a 128k EEPROM

You can check the numbers on the Eprom chip, but the only way I have found to know "for sure", is do an Eprom dump (copy) and check the size of the file.

there shouldn't be -in my opinion- any big issue in having a fully-supported card to work with our hardware.

The "issue" I have is, that "in general", I *think* you will find that a specific video card will perform better in a PC than in a Mac, making the "upgrade" sort of, well, not pointless, but not as good as it should be.

There are a few .roms here that might be helpful:

http://themacelite.wikidot.com/wikidownloads2

• 2 weeks later...
On the Apple Store is now possible to configure a MacPro with a 8800 GTS (G92) 512mb.

Since I have an Inno3d card sitting around... I was wondering if it would be possible to make it work in a (real) MacPro, flashing the rom with a Pc (without touching kexts and messing around with injectors on my Mac...)

Cheers

-Naymaxoe

Where did you see a "8800 GTS"??

Apple does not offer that card.

post-176965-1224968708_thumb.jpg

Cheers

-Naymaxoe

Eh? I don't see any GTS in Mac Pro configurations.

But even if you flashed the GTS to a GT, it'll limit it down to the GTs performance, which isn't bad, but in my opinion it's a dumb move.

Eh? I don't see any GTS in Mac Pro configurations.

But even if you flashed the GTS to a GT, it'll limit it down to the GTs performance, which isn't bad, but in my opinion it's a dumb move.

Nope, no GTS.

The flash would limit it to the core and mem speed of the GT, but you could boost those in the BIOS to match the GTS. I believe you'd get all 128 shaders (the GT has 112) as that is hardware specific...[ There was an ATi 800 GT that you could flash to the XT, to get all 16-pipelines, then flash back to the GT (for fan control if I remember correctly) and still have all 16-pipes ]

I'm thinking of trying one myself; I already have 2 of the eVGA 8800 GT's (Superclocked 802's) that I was going to use but if a cheap GTS should pop-up (there were some used/refurbed eVGA GTS cards recently on their site in the B-Stock section for $99, they also sold them via NewEgg for $109).

I have a little experience flashing cards, from way back to the ATi 7000's and most recently 256MB and 512MB 7800GTX's for dual and quad core G5's. NVflash is easy to use, and you could always flash it back to the PC version and resell if it didn't work. The Hackintosh guys have 9800 GTX+ cards working, btw. There's good info at the MacElite Wiki, the forums are gone now *sigh* but the Wiki still has a lot of info....