Noob needs opinons on his Newegg wishlist

7 posts in this topic

Hey there,

I'd like to try and build my own Hackintosh to use primarily as an Adobe workstation. I'm a graphic designer that relies on Creative Suite 3 for my bread and butter business. I'd also like to be able to run two virtual OS's within OSX, namely, Windows XP (for Quickbooks) and Ubuntu Hardy Heron. I've used Macs for years, but have little experience cracking open a computer case.

Here is a wishlist I've put together on Newegg.ca:

http://secure.newegg.ca/WishList/PublicWis...tNumber=8665011

I've tried to keep things Intel wherever possible. For the rest of the system, I tried to go with good/popular names and not default to the absolute cheapest model for anything. I don't need the most blazing system, but I want to make sure I can go a couple of years before really needing to upgrade anything.

I really have no preference on OS, Tiger or Leopard would suit me fine either way.

Oh, and dual monitors would be a great bonus, if they can be configured!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Hi. I just created a thread asking for a good parts list for a hackintosh for video editing. Someone said that it's against Apple's EULA to make a hackintosh and so if you're planning on using it for business that might be a bad idea. Do you have any knowledge in this regard?

Otherwise I might be stealing your parts list for a build in my computer, as long as they're good to work with the OSX. Thanks :)

Thanks exman, I'll look into those. I'm aware that the motherboard is probably the single most important element to the whole setup, so I want to make sure I get it right the first time!

And noraa, I understand the legalities regarding the EULA. It is, according to Apple, illegal to run the Apple OS on anything other than genuine Apple hardware. Now, will they follow up on every single instance of this? Who knows? As a designer, I've accumulated a number of Macs that are still (barely) useful for graphics. As far as Apple is concerned, I use a real Mac for my work and this project is just me screwing around with different OS's on a homebrew games machine, nothing more :)

OK, here is my updated wishlist with exman's recommended mobo and ram:

http://secure.newegg.ca/WishList/PublicWis...tNumber=8665011

So, does everything else look OK? Is the video card overkill? What about dual monitor setup - is this possible?

If there aren't any serious objections, I may just pull the trigger!

Thanks again for any and all advice!

I don't think that video card is compatible. (9500GT)

Always check your key components like mobo and video card against the HCL wiki.

Dual monitors is no problem -with a supported card that is- OSX configures dual monitors right out of the box. Running dual 22" screens on my Hackintosh with an 8600GT. Personally, I wouldn't own a single monitor system.