Looking for a Good, Leopard complaint PCI sound card

David Repking

5 posts in this topic

Hi pals,

I'm looking for a good, leopard compliant PCI (or USB) soundcard, since my ALC850 on my amd system is driving me nuts (iTunes, VLC and so on works fine, but whenever there's an "alert" sound (for example the "submarine", "purr" etc etc), or play GarageBand it makes an scratchy sound).

I've read a lot of posts talking about kernel parameters (platform=X86PC, cpus=1, fn=3, fsb=133, none of them in any combination works at all :-( ), and looked for change frequency on that midi thingy in utilities, but that doesn't let me do that very thing :-S .

The worst thing of all is that i've suffering some apps hangs, allways relating to CoreAudio or Audio (in crash report, the thread hanging allways shows an audio related message), and this is getting extremely anoying.

I've read some posts of some guy blaming this to the AMD cpu, but i'm not quite sure...

Ok, to the point, ¿do you know any good working soundcard on Leopard (I can use PCI slots, but i'm open to USB thingys)?

Thank you very much in advance :-)

I could really use a few suggestions as well. I need to get either coaxial or optical digital output so I can run the audio through my receiver and get to my speakers. I am starting to think my onboard audio does not have support for that feature. I have an asus p5b-deluxe mobo with an AD1988B chip. I suspect I could get some 2-channel non-digital audio out of it, but I don't have any speakers I can hook up that way. It would also kind of sabotage the usefulness of switching from XP to Leopard. :)

I don't care if it is USB or PCI, I would prefer not to spend a ton of cash on it, but getting something that works and is easy to get going is my primary goal. I hated getting the audio working under windows with this onboard setup so I don't mind too much upgrading. The wiki did not list many options that actually work, and some of the ones that did do not specify digital output or not. If anyone has the system audio piped out of a coaxial/optical cable successfully, I would love to hear about what card/device that is so I can try and get one. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

I ordered a Turtle Beach Advantage Micro USB sound adapter, I won't get that for a few days though. After I ordered it I noticed that they made a big point to specify spidif passthrough, which makes me think the digital out might only do digital for DVD's and whatnot already encoded. I will try it when it gets here though to make sure.

I did end up going to a local store and buying another USB sound adapter with stereo headphone type jack. It was detected and worked as soon as I plugged it into a USB slot. I got a DNC to RCA converter and hooked it to my receiver via the analog RCA cables and everything is working. I prefer to have the digital going, but this will hold me over for now till I find a solution that really works. Here is a link to the model of USB adapter that worked for me (Leopard kalyway 10.5.2):

http://www.usbmax.com/USBG-SV5_USB_Virtual...h_MIC_Input.cfm

Good Luck!

If anyone has the system audio piped out of a coaxial/optical cable successfully, I would love to hear about what card/device that is so I can try and get one. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Your onboard *should* work with Taruga's patcher.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/lzy4uhdywzn/...4_Installer.zip

If it works for you, you'll have output from S/PDIF, don't expect 5.1 though. It's 2 channel, no volume control from the system, and you can't pipe sound through multiple outputs at the same time but.... yeah.

• 1 month later...

I too would like to buy a pci sound card that will work with leopard. The audio out on my onboard sound has recently decided not to output any right channel... :wacko:

I have an Asrock 4coredual-sata2 with ALC888 sound.

So I think the cheapest way to fix this would be to get a pci sound card instead of a new motherboard. I would prefer a pci one rather than a usb connection as it would be secured and hidden inside the case.

Does anyone know of any good value compatible models?

P.S If anyone could help me fix the onboard sound, that would be even better. :D