RAID0 Recomendations

Steven2k7

6 posts in this topic

When I used to run windows, I had a RAID0 with 2 hard drives for the extra speed and performance. The problem is, it was a software RAID with the intel controller, and thus not compatible with OS X. I miss my RAID and since I'm a digital film making major, would like to have it back for movie editing.

It seems my only solution is getting a RAID card, but it seems hard to find a decent hardware RAID card for under $80.

I only need two ports, and I'll just be making a simple RAID0 with two 500GB seagate 7200.11 drives (with a few spare drives as backups on my motherboard controller).

These are the two I've found so far on newegg that seem to fit my needs:

2 port RocketRaid for $70 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16816115040

Or a 4 port Rosewill for $80 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16816132017

I looked up RAID cards hoping to keep it below $50, so I'd like to not go higher then about $80. I will be using this as my main bootable hard drive with OS X 10.5.4 installed on one partition, possibly windows vista on another, then the bulk of the space as NTFS so both Leopard and Windows can read/write to it. I dont think Leopards built in software RAID will work because I couldnt use it when booting into windows.

Would the RAID card be worth it just to do a basic RAID0? Right now I just have OSX on one of the 500gb drives, and all my files on the other.

I kinda need the RAID. I have so much unused hard drive space right now because I cant make a RAID, plus I need the extra harddrive speed.

I wish someone could at least recommend a card, so far I'm thinking about just going with the Rosewill model since it supports 4 SATA II drives. It supports both Windows and OSX 10.4, so that leads me to believe it will work on a hackintosh running 10.5.4.

I kinda need the RAID. I have so much unused hard drive space right now because I cant make a RAID, plus I need the extra harddrive speed.

I wish someone could at least recommend a card, so far I'm thinking about just going with the Rosewill model since it supports 4 SATA II drives. It supports both Windows and OSX 10.4, so that leads me to believe it will work on a hackintosh running 10.5.4.

guess that card has the sil3132 - with that you will have kernel panics and freezes if you use mor than 3GB

search here in the forum - you will find many posts about that