First time to build even a PC, can you guys help?

8 posts in this topic

Hi, guys, my first time to build a pc, let alone a Hackintosh. So please give some helps and don't laugh for any fool question.

Through a lot of search in forum and wiki, I decided my hardware list:

OSX: to run Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD Intel_Amd (sse2/sse3) EFI V8 / WinXP sp2

Expectation: hardwares working out of box; best compatibility, no hardware conflicts.

Gigabyte EP45-DS4P ATX LGA775 P45 DDR2 2PCI-E SATA2 RAID HD Sound 2GLAN 1394A CrossFireX

MSI N9800GT 512M OC GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600

Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (two, 500GB+500GB)

Pioneer 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model DVR-216DBK

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Antec EA650 650W ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

ZALMAN 9500A 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound Paste NON-ELECTRICAL Conductive 4 Gram

That's all I can think about for now. Anything missing? (cables?)

By the way, is 650W power supply enough for my hardwares? Do I still need to buy a ethernet card?

Any suggestion is appreciated!

Looks like you got everything covered.

The motherboard has onboard LAN, I don't know for sure, but I guess it'll work. I wouldn't know what hardware conflict this board could have, guess you'll have to wait for a post from someone who owns one.

650W should be more then enough power for this system. And you shouldn't have to worry about cables, most mobo's come with all cables you'll need.

Mike

I strongly suggest that you seek help from a friend with some computer experience. No degree of help from our users can replace the experience of actually building and configuring a PC completely and much less OSX86.

My advice to you is:

- Go to the WIKI and read the HCL to see if your hardware components have already been registered as compatible.

- Get the hardware and ask someone with experience to help you build your PC correctly (or risk destroying it by yourself).

- Read the forums about how to install and configure OSX on a PC. Start with the Tutorial section of the forums.

- If some of your hardware components require special configuration, then search the forum for the info you need and download the files/software required. (You may also want to print the tutorials).

- Download the version of OSX86 that fits your needs the best. Popular "releases" are iAtkos, Leo4All and Netkas.

As a final comment: Installing OSX86 can be as simple as putting the DVD in and waiting for the installation routine to finish up, to spending nights tweaking a kext file to get your beloved video card to work with the correct resolution and with QE/CI enabled (QE and CI are fundamental parts of the OS which enable the cool 3D effects).

Best of luck!

Thanks, Hecker, I'll just follow all of your suggestions.

Actually, I've already checked almost all the posts here and the Wiki HCL list. Because I'm in Canada, therefore my hardware choice would be a little bit less than you guys, and, sorry to say that, I found the wiki is a little out of date in some parts. But it's still very helpful, though.

Although I know EP35 would be much more easier, EP45 is the only one I can get from newegg.ca, so I really don't have choice.

Thanks, Hecker, I'll just follow all of your suggestions.

Actually, I've already checked almost all the posts here and the Wiki HCL list. Because I'm in Canada, therefore my hardware choice would be a little bit less than you guys, and, sorry to say that, I found the wiki is a little out of date in some parts. But it's still very helpful, though.

Although I know EP35 would be much more easier, EP45 is the only one I can get from newegg.ca, so I really don't have choice.

I agree about the WIKI part. I have, however, come across several "hardware compatibility" threads in the forum. People also recommend the EFIX compatibility guide, since those guys tend to use hardware that is the most similar to the original mac computer.

It seems that you have picked some good hardware, so you can now start looking for threads that discuss your hardware components.

I like to use google for that, like this:

site:insanelymac.com searchterm

Keep us updated!