Black screen with music playing

Matt27272

22 posts in this topic

Any help?

You could boot with -s

mount -uw /

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/"X1600.kext"......you need to give the proper kext name here

exit

Also see this thread......

Can you give me a little more explanation here? I'm new to this. Thanks.

At the `darwin bootloader prompt boot: type -s and press Enter.....

then type mount -uw / and press Enter

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/"X1600.kext"......you need to give the proper kext name here

exit and press Enter

As I do not have iATKOSv4, I do not know the actual name given to the X1600 kext file you installed....so you may need to serach insanelymac via google to find out.....

At the `darwin bootloader prompt boot: type -s and press Enter.....

then type mount -uw / and press Enter

exit and press Enter

As I do not have iATKOSv4, I do not know the actual name given to the X1600 kext file you installed....so you may need to serach insanelymac via google to find out.....

If I type -s and press enter, it's starts to load the os and I can't type anything else

If I type -s and press enter, it's starts to load the os and I can't type anything else

If when you type -s do you see white text coming up on screen?........at some point the text generation should halt and present you with the :/ root# prompt......

That worked! thank you so much. Also, how do I get it so that I don't have to enter this every time I boot up?

Glad it worked for you.......what was the full name of the X1600 kext file that you removed?.....it should no longer be present in your Extensions folder......i.e. go to /System/Library/Extensions and check that this is so......and so you should not have to follow this procedure again......just find the correct install guide and driver kext for your GFX card...... ;)

It was called ATIinject.kext. Look's like OSX is a lost cause, because I have no clue how to follow this guide to install the correct drivers. And ethernet doesn't work, which I need.

This is the guide: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=77685

I have absolutely no clue what EDID is, and the guide says to use your favorite editor to change some stuff. That doesn't really help me. I guess I'm in over my head.

It was called ATIinject.kext. Look's like OSX is a lost cause, because I have no clue how to follow this guide to install the correct drivers. And ethernet doesn't work, which I need.

This is the guide: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=77685

I have absolutely no clue what EDID is, and the guide says to use your favorite editor to change some stuff. That doesn't really help me. I guess I'm in over my head.

Try to see if you can follow the guide here.......if you can, it may hopefully get your video going........do not worry about ethernet and audio until you get the video working......you need to find out what chipset your Ethernet and audio controllers are using......perhaps the Acer website or the manual or a Google search will deliver this information......

Audio works fine, and my wireless is Intel3945ABG, and my wired is Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet.

So you need to choose correct driver for networking after video is sorted.....see here for Ethernet and here for your wireless......in both cases you have a leraning curve to follow.....

BTW what is situation with your video.......

Video works perfectly, thank you.

As for internet, do I have any hope, or should I give up?

Glad video is now working for you.......What guide did you follow to get X1600 GFX card working?.....

All I can suggest is you try the procedures in the threads I pointed you to as until you try you will not know if they can work for you...... :D

The guide you gave me for video was great. It worked first try. I have another question though. I have garageband on it, but whenever I try to add notes on the editor part, it says you have to hold command and then click to add a note. I've tried holding ctrl, alt, the windows button, and shift, and none work.