Can your Leopard system hard drive be booted from a Jmicron controller?

4 posts in this topic

I have a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R motherboard and I need to find out if you can boot the Leopard OS drive from the Jmicron controller. I know a DVD can be booted from the Jmicron, but I've searched the forums and I haven't seen anyone ask/answer this question. Maybe I didn't search hard enough. My apologies if this is has asked many times.

I have a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R motherboard and I need to find out if you can boot the Leopard OS drive from the Jmicron controller. I know a DVD can be booted from the Jmicron, but I've searched the forums and I haven't seen anyone ask/answer this question. Maybe I didn't search hard enough. My apologies if this is has asked many times.

SATA hard drive set to AHCI mode would boot with no problems on my old P965 board so I can't see any reason it would not boot on a newer board.

SATA hard drive set to AHCI mode would boot with no problems on my old P965 board so I can't see any reason it would not boot on a newer board.

But was that with a JMicron controller? One impression you get reading these forums is that you should avoid JMicron if at all possible. You can make it work, but it's a lot easier if you don't have one in the first place.

I seem to remeber booting from a device (HD or DVD) connected through a JMicron controller chip doesn't work if it's set to AHCI mode. If I'm wrong maybe someone else will jump in and correct me.

But was that with a JMicron controller? One impression you get reading these forums is that you should avoid JMicron if at all possible. You can make it work, but it's a lot easier if you don't have one in the first place.

I seem to remeber booting from a device (HD or DVD) connected through a JMicron controller chip doesn't work if it's set to AHCI mode. If I'm wrong maybe someone else will jump in and correct me.

The Jmicron never caused me any problems using SATA with AHCI set on that board or the others I have had the problems with it are using the IDE connector at least on any of the boards I have used...