Noob- how to dual boot Vista and OSX

13 posts in this topic

Hey all,

i just bought a Dell 1525 laptop. It has a 250GB HD which I changed to have Vista on C: (100GB) and a D: (100GB) . I have not formatted D: as of yet. It is still windows format.

So where do I go from here. I want to be able to boot into Vista and OSX.

Do I reformat D: (to what format?) and then install OSX (I have the Kalyway 10.5.2)?

how do I then choose which one to boot into.

Lots of questions I know. If there is a simple guide please direct me.

Thanks

Hey all,

i just bought a Dell 1525 laptop. It has a 250GB HD which I changed to have Vista on C: (100GB) and a D: (100GB) . I have not formatted D: as of yet. It is still windows format.

So where do I go from here. I want to be able to boot into Vista and OSX.

Do I reformat D: (to what format?) and then install OSX (I have the Kalyway 10.5.2)?

how do I then choose which one to boot into.

Lots of questions I know. If there is a simple guide please direct me.

Thanks

Format D: as NTFS then using Disk Utility running in Kalyway 10.5.2, format it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then install OS X....

Try installing and running EasyBCD 1.7.2 in Vista.....hopefully it will allow you to dual boot easily......

Thank you so much. I'm installing the Kalyway OSX right now. Thanks for the tip of using easyBCD. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again!

BTW the image on the screen during install is kinda blurry, not crisp like on a mac. Is this because of the video driver it is using? It will be crisp once I have it set up correctly?

Thank you so much. I'm installing the Kalyway OSX right now. Thanks for the tip of using easyBCD. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again!

BTW the image on the screen during install is kinda blurry, not crisp like on a mac. Is this because of the video driver it is using? It will be crisp once I have it set up correctly?

Yes until you install the correct video driver for your GFX card you will run in base VGA mode....

When I reboot I get a HFS+ error. It doesn't give me the option to boot to Vista or osx? Help??!

You should be carefull with easyBCD. You can erase the vista boot record very easily, and the repaair function on the vista DVD will probably not work. Didn't you know you should back up before anyt action?

M$ decided to change the boot process in vista, and as a result, it's more difficult to dual boot it with OSX than that with XP. Most of the topics on the forum here at insanelymac refers to XP dual boot, so be careful. The chain0 method, for instance, is known not to work in vista. At this point, I have not seen a good review on how to dual boot with vista, but some report that they did it (from a single HD partitioned into 2+ logicals).

If your laptop supports 2 HD's and your bios gives the option to change the boot drive number, you are lucky. Install each OS on a separate drive and each time you need to boot into different OS, just change the drive number in bios. That's probably the simplest way. Its also the poor mans way, (arguably).

as it is right now, put an active boot flag on vista partition. you may be able to boot into vista this way.

Okayy, one more problem. I was able to install and boot into OsX 10.5.2 the kalyway version, but I didn't use easyBCD or anything like that. Now I'm able to boot into the Mac, but I need to get into Vista again. Can anyone help?

I set the active partition to Vista using the Vista install disk. I used Diskpart to make it active. There are instruction on how to do this on here if you search.

Once back in vista I used the latest version of easyBCD to add an OSX boot option. this worked great. It presents me with a Vista and OSX option upon booting. When I choose OSX it loads Darwin which then asks me which partition to boot from. Then its straight into OSX.

My problem now is the Wifi is not working but I'll figure it out. Neither is USB.

I set the active partition to Vista using the Vista install disk. I used Diskpart to make it active. There are instruction on how to do this on here if you search.

Once back in vista I used the latest version of easyBCD to add an OSX boot option. this worked great. It presents me with a Vista and OSX option upon booting. When I choose OSX it loads Darwin which then asks me which partition to boot from. Then its straight into OSX.

My problem now is the Wifi is not working but I'll figure it out. Neither is USB.

tejaswe: simply flag your windows partition as boot active. You can use parted magic for that (it's a nice utility to have anyways for partitioning HDDs)

kinsale: Few questions. 1. Did you install vista and OSX on MBR scheme drive? 2. In what order? 3. Did you install a boot loader during OSX installation?

Thanks in advance. I've been trying to put OSX in parallel with vista for some time now. I never wanted to load the vista booter and then select OSX, only to load the darwin booter. But I could not get darwin booter to boot vista. There are other options, like GRUB and DFE, but I have no more patience.

For dual booting Vista and OS X on separate HDDs....should even work for a Vista RAID setup e.g. 2 x HDD in Raid 0 for Vista and 2 x HDD in Raid 1 for Vista, plus 1 x HDD for OS X.....

In EasyBCD, your BCD entry for OS X will be pointing not at the OS X HDD but at the OS X boot file location, i.e. Darwin EFI bootloader (which then points to the OS X system(s))......so, try:

1. Partition the OS X HDD as MBR and format (HFS+) the required OS X volumes on the HDD

2. Boot into Vista....go to EasyBCD.....then to Bootloader Management....and choose to "Reinstall Vista Bootloader"

3. Install the Darwin EFI bootloader/OS X setup

4. In EasyBCD add a new OS X entry

BTW I set up a small 10GB OS X Boot volume in first partition on the OS X HDD....a basic Kalyway 10.5.2 install, with cpus=1 and maxmem=2048 in apple.com.Boot.plist, which is never "messed"; with, e.g. software updated (it is only booted into for heavy Firewire/USB/LAN data transfers to/from the Main and/or Test OS X systems on the HDD).....this way the Darwin bootloader is pointing to all OS X volumes on the HDD and is never lost......the 2nd, 3rd volume can be erased/formatted at will....the Darwin bootloader still points to them….. :D

Also, if you do not want the Vista RAIDed HDD icons trying to mount on the OS X desktop with error messages (other than Apple Software RAID, AFIK only hardware RAID is possible with OSx86, i.e. BIOS software RAID is not) saying the the RAIDed HDDs cannot be mounted, then right-click on the OS X HDD volume icon(s) and choose “Make Alias” for the volume(s)……then go to Finder > Preferences, and under “Show these items on the Dessktop”, uncheck “Hard disks”……the alias icons will remain on the Desktop (i.e. as shortcut(s) to the OS X HDD volume(s)), which you can rename to remove “alias” from the icon(s) name(s)…… :)