Dell mini 9 OSX 4 Dummies

francola

5 posts in this topic

dellmini94dummiespf6.png

I put this together from a mix of different posts and ideas. There have been many people hard at work on this and I am in no way saying this guide is any better for you than any other. One thing I like about this method is the smaller version of OSX being that there is already limited space on these little guys! I also have not had one Kernel Panic during shutdown, restart, whatever! Hope someone can make use of this!

Boot up the Dell mini with an external DVD drive containing the burned "MSIWindosx86" image

Press 0 (Zero) at the BIOS screen and select DVD drive and then enter

When prompted to press any key, do so to start leopard install

Wait a few minutes for Leopard intro language select screen to come up

Select the bottom right button

Under "Utilities" select "Disk Utility"

In "Disk Utility" select your hard drive and then the "Partition" tab

Set "Volume Scheme" to "1 Partition"

Under options select "GUID Partition Table"

Name your disk and click "Apply" then quit "Disk Utility"

Back in installer select "Continue"

Select Destination (your newly formated drive) and "Continue"

Select "Customize"

Under the "Patches" section deselect "Kernel" then click "Done"

Then Install!

Once you complete the install, all components except wireless and sound work

Boot to Leopard desktop

Unzip "mini9_Wireless-audio" (attached below) and open Terminal in Leopard

Type in sudo (and then hit the spacebar once) and drag the bcm43xx_enabler.sh icon to the Terminal window. Press the Enter key, type in your admin password on the keyboard and follow the instructions. (For those who don’t like to read - basically press Enter four times and restart)

Run the ALC268_Installer1 application (That was included in the archive) to enable sound chipset on the mini

Restart again and you have a fully functioning Mac OS enabled Dell mini 9

From everthing I have read, there should be no problem with updating through software update to 10.5.5

You would just need to reapply the 2 patches

I have not tried it yet

Sleep does not work and can cause problems with shutting the lid etc. I choose to disable it completely by entering the following in the terminal:

sudo pmset -a disablesleep 1

mini9_Wireless_audio.zip

NO NO NO NO NO! Read the official thread, and use Boot132. We have spent a month perfecting this technique, and you come in here and jump back in time a month. Get real. We don't use the crappy Wind image, we use the retail disc, which means zero worries about software updates in the future!

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=124363

Wow... Take it easy man. I stated in the beginning that this was not neccesarily a replacement for other guides. I simply made this because more times than not throughout these forums, the instructions leave out basic steps that are supposed to be "understood". A little defensive aren't we??? This is not your world. We are all sharing and can choose to completely disregard or make use of what we see fit.

Take care,

Franco

• 5 months later...
NO NO NO NO NO! Read the official thread, and use Boot132. We have spent a month perfecting this technique, and you come in here and jump back in time a month. Get real. We don't use the crappy Wind image, we use the retail disc, which means zero worries about software updates in the future!

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=124363

UnaClocker, I followed the link at the bottom of your post, but it just led to a collection of nonsense about the Mini 9, no actual working instruction set. If there's a better way to do it than this post, I'd love to know, but I'm not seeing it. (Of course, maybe I'm just idiot...)

• 1 month later...