VPN fails to connect... any ideas?

twonine

6 posts in this topic

I'm having trouble getting my VPN connection to work. I run a VPN server on OS X Server at work, and use OS X's built-in VPN client to connect. It works fine from my powerbook, so I know the problem is on the OSX86 side of things.

When I attempt to connect from the hackintosh, it fails with the message: "The server did not respond. Please verify the server address and try again."

In the hackintosh system.log I see this activity:

Oct  8 19:49:06 hackintosh pppd[56711]: pppd 2.4.2 (Apple version 314) started by root, uid 501
Oct  8 19:49:06 hackintosh pppd[56711]: L2TP connecting to server 'vpn_server_address_redacted.com' (123.456.78.90)...
Oct  8 19:49:06 hackintosh pppd[56711]: IPSec connection started
Oct  8 19:49:11 hackintosh pppd[56711]: IPSec connection failed

On the VPN server I see no connection attempt reported.

Has anyone gotten the VPN client to work on their system? I have seen no other issues in my ethernet connection, but perhaps it is the ethernet driver.

I haven't tried a VPN, but in the line that starts the process, and ends with UID 501, shouldn't there be a long UID number instead of the 501? That would make the number "unique" for that process. Just a guess...

That line looks identical on the working Powerbook, so it should be okay.

Hmm... I dont know that any of the wireless or ethernet cards I have sitting around would work on a hackintosh, theyre pretty old, 10/100 ethernet and 802.11b. I might have to go buy one. Is there a recommended model of wireless or ethernet cards for OSx86?