Kernel Panic On Intel Atom(N270) MSI WIND

g2rp

13 posts in this topic

hi, I've loaded the extension sucesufuly, and I can get the frecuecys without any problem, but when I try to change the speed, I get a kernel panic

I'm running Leopard 10.5.5 on an MSI Wind clon, a Medion Akoya. Is there any solution?

Thanks a lot

hi, I've loaded the extension sucesufuly, and I can get the frecuecys without any problem, but when I try to change the speed, I get a kernel panic

I'm running Leopard 10.5.5 on an MSI Wind clon, a Medion Akoya. Is there any solution?

Thanks a lot

/dude could you provide a little more details about the context?

What ext are you talking about ?

CoolBook works great, no idea what u r talking about...

Thanks a lot

Please post a pic of the kernel panic. Thanks!

BTW why are you using it on an Atom CPU? I don't think it's worth the hassle as the atom uses barely 7W at full throttle.

/dude could you provide a little more details about the context?

What ext are you talking about ?

CoolBook works great, no idea what u r talking about...

Hey, this forum is for the IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext so you can assume the OP is talking about it :)

I've looked into the logs, and I could not find any information about the kernel panick. I just try to change the speed by the sysctl and I get the black screen that teels me to reboot.

How can I make a repoort more specific?

It's tre that the cpu uses very low vat, but If intel put speedsteep on it. I've a tiny 3 cell batt and I dont wat the cpu to get hotter

If I boot with the -s flag, I load the kext and it says:

kextload: /Sys... loaded successfully

IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: INFO Initializing version 1.3.2 ...

IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: INFO On your processor, voltages cna be changed in 12.5 mV steps

IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: WARN there was an error while getting PState arrayt fron ACPI. Please create your P-State table manually

#sysctl kern.cputhrottle_freqs

second level name cputhrottle_freqs in kern.cputhrottle_freqs is invalid

#sudo sysctl -w kern.cputhrottle_curfreq=YYYY

second level name cputhrottle_cpufreq in kern.cputhrottle_cpufreq is invalid

So, what can I do now?

got the same problem with my msi wind (10.5.5, voodoo 9.5 kernel - beta 1)

Reboot with bootflag -s

Then type sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext

leads to "WARN There was an error while getting PState array from ACPI. Please create your P-State table manually."

Try to switch frequency using sysctl. When it panics you'll be able to see the message. Take a photo of it and post it.

doesnt work: "second level name cputhrottle_freqs in kern.cputhrottle_freqs is invalid"

when i'm booting osx normally, using the same command leads to "kern.cputhrottle_freqs: 800 1067 1333 1600"

*edit*

g2rp was faster ^^

Ok first off, are you trying to switch to 800 MHz? If yes, try to switch to 1067 or 1333 instead. <1GHz is a bit problematic on some setups.

Second, I really need the kernel panic message so I know what the error is - so try to find some way to get that. Like look at the system.log file or something ..

Third, edit the kext's Info.plist and set Kernel Features to 0. Then delete Extensions.mkext and reboot. See if that helps.

tried it with 800, 1066 and 1333 :)

system.log

13.10.08 12:25:56 sudo[157] nuddelmaddin : TTY=ttys000 ; PWD=/Users nuddelmaddin ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/sbin/sysctl -w kern.cputhrottle_curfreq=1333

13.10.08 12:26:53 kernel npvhash=4095

13.10.08 12:26:41 com.apple.launchctl.System[2] fsck_hfs: Volume is journaled. No checking performed.

searched for the panic.log which should be in /Library/Logs/, but there isn't one :-(

nvram -p gives me the message that my system doesn't support nvram.

changed Kernel Features from -1 to 0 but got still the kernel panic

update

found a way to get a log - if you boot with "debug=0x100" the graphical panic-you-need-to-restart-image is disabled and you get the text on your display

o5cn47.jpg

if you need it, i would type the whole thing into a file.

Awesome. This is enough information for now, thanks!

I didn't remember about the debug flag. :angel:

Update: I need the output of sysctl kern | grep throttle.

Also, could you edit Info.plist and set DebugMessages to <true/>, then just after booting up, type this and copy the output:

sudo dmesg | grep IntelEnhanced

After that, try switching freq. It will panic, but hopefully it will have saved some info in /var/log/system.log just before panicking. If it's there, please paste the relevant part as well.

The problem seems to be at the moment where we write the new p-state control to the processor. According to Intel docs, this will happen only if the pstate we are writing (frequency and voltage) is invalid. So I'm trying to figure out why it's invalid on an Atom, which should follow the same convention as any other Intel processor with speedstep support.

if you need more information, just ask. and many thanks for your work.

update

here the additional information :angel:

sysctl kern | grep throttle

kern.exec: unknown type returned
kern.cputhrottle_curfreq: 1600
kern.cputhrottle_curvolt: 1162
kern.cputhrottle_freqs: 800 1067 1333 1600 
kern.cputhrottle_factoryvolts: 900 987 1075 1162 
kern.cputhrottle_ctl: 3108

IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: INFO  Initializing version 1.3.2 © Prashant Vaibhav 
IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: DBG   FSB = 133 MHz
IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: DBG   Probing for Intel processor...
IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: DBG   Supported Intel processor found on your system
IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: DBG   Processor Family 6, Model 44
IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: DBG   Starting
IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: INFO  On your processor, voltages can be changed in 12.5 mV steps
IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: DBG   Using data from CPU0
IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: DBG   Found 4 P-States
IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: DBG   P-State 0: 1600 MHz at 1162 mV, consuming 2 W, latency 10 usec
IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: DBG   P-State 1: 1333 MHz at 1075 mV, consuming 1 W, latency 10 usec
IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: DBG   P-State 2: 1067 MHz at 987 mV, consuming 1 W, latency 10 usec
IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: DBG   P-State 3: 800 MHz at 900 mV, consuming 0 W, latency 10 usec
IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: INFO  Using 4 PStates.

/var/log/system.log just before panicking

coudn't find anything relevant :-(

I'm still here, but nuddelmaddin is so fast...

I tried. Frist I edited plist.info, debug mode true, kernel features 0. Reboot whit the debug=0x100 flag.

sysctl kern | grep throttle

result exactly the same

IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: INFO  Initializing version 1.3.2 © Prashant Vaibhav
IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: INFO  On your processor, voltages can be changed in 12.5 mV steps
IntelEnhancedSpeedStep: INFO  Using 4 PStates

sudo sysctl -w kern.cputhrottle_curfreq=1333

And a kernel panic like the photo of nuddelmaddin and nothing util in system.log