Blue Screen? Just a Cursor? Weird Colors?

drumthrasher109

17 posts in this topic

Ok, nearly ONE YEAR at trying to get this stuff to work, I figured out how to do so!

1. Download/install this: http://www.fileqube.com/shared/kIJhBN99908

2. Download/install this: http://tinyurl.com/3qcg8g

So, just install the first link, then the second one, reboot with -f -v, and you should have QE/CI/Resolution change!!!

I am really excited here if this works for me as well... I just got done posting the same question in the IRC when you joined and announced the fix with this link... I am trying it right now as well.... I hope to post back successfully as well...

Update ::: It worked for me as well... After following your signature and your posts everywhere on saying the 2600 does not work I am glad you have found the solution.... I am having some crazy tear effects though so I am going to make sure I have no other crazy kexts interfering.... But this is the closest I have ever come to working....

Now I am back to the Weird Colors Again.... I may have to reinstall Kalyway and try again... I removed all of the ATI* Kexts and the Natits Kext and tried the install again and back to Weird Colors... So Close to give up so reinstall it is...

What weird colors are you seeing? Are there a bunch of colored boxes and if you move your mouse you can see a little bit of stuff change? I only get that if I repair disk permissions, so I never do it anymore.

After installing these kexts it seem to take longer for the boot up process by a good minute... Then it will come up with a garbled screen of black, pick, and white speckles and I do not see the mouse moving but I can hear the applications starting up and everything seems to fine...

So now I have done the reinstall and I am at Kalyway 10.5.1 with these kexts and it seems allot better... I do not see allot of tearing of the screen anymore... The problem I have now seems to be that some of the animations such as if I adjust the volume causes the entire screen to go black and I notice slight refresh updates of the screen like a tear is about to happen then it fixes itself... That is not much of an issue as we have come a long way here as by finally getting support but the blackouts on animations are very annoying... Looks like anytime a context menu such as if I right click on the Trash Can the screen will go black for a second and then come back... I am wondering if I should move up to 10.5.5 now and see if it resolves any issues....

Also I can tell major speed improvements in the graphics, of course now that you found a solution, but it is very refreshing...

Blue Screen? Just a Cursor? Weird Colors?, SOLUTION FOR ATI CARDS HERE

Doesn't work. At least on my system (OSX 10.5.5 server, 3870X2, Asus P5E). I get the "Just a Cursor" screen instead of login screen.

It took me a while to update to 10.5.5 after it was released. Since then nothing has worked except of having a mix of different/older versions of kexts/plugins/bundles (ATINDRV.kext 1.5.28, ATIRadeonX2000.kext 1.5.24, ATIRadeonX2000GA.plugin 1.5.28, ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle 1.5.24, ATIRadeonX2000VADriver.bundle 1.5.28), Natit.kext and OpenGL.framework 1.5.6. Don't remember if ATIRadeonX2000.kext was patched though.

Since my system works ok and QE is enabled I'll stay put until 10.5.6.

Actually yeah this isn't working...it worked for 2 reboots and I'm at the blue screen with my cursor again...I'm working on a solution.

But you are very close.... After reinstalling again after a failed update to 10.5.5 its up and working now... The only issue I see now is the long delay on startup and appears that certain actions black out the entire screen such as changing the volume, or pulling up the context menu for the trash can...

The procedure I did was a fresh install of Kaly 10.5.1... Updated right away to 10.5.5... then installed the packages in your post.... After the update to 10.5.5 my system boots up within seconds but after installing the packages above there appears to be a problem with a kext somewhere.... Here is an excerpt from the logs...

Oct 8 15:55:10 avery-bunkers-mac-pro mDNSResponder[21]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

Oct 8 15:55:10 avery-bunkers-mac-pro kernel[0]: ATHR: unknown locale: 10

Oct 8 15:55:16 avery-bunkers-mac-pro com.apple.dyld[48]: update_dyld_shared_cache[48] current cache invalid because /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework

/Versions/A/Libraries/libGLU.dylib has changed

Oct 8 15:55:25 avery-bunkers-mac-pro com.apple.dyld[48]: update_dyld_shared_cache[48] regenerated cache for arch=i386

Oct 8 15:55:26 avery-bunkers-mac-pro mdworker[83]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35Oct 8 15:55:27 avery-bunkers-mac-pro backupd-helper[88]: _CFGetHostUUIDString:

unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35Oct 8 15:55:42 avery-bunkers-mac-pro kextd[10]: IOKitWaitQuiet() timed out waiting to write kernel symbols

Oct 8 15:55:52 avery-bunkers-mac-pro kextd[10]: writing kernel link data to /var/run/mach.sym

Oct 8 15:56:06 avery-bunkers-mac-pro configd[33]: InterfaceNamer: timed out waiting for IOKit to quiesce

Oct 8 15:56:06 avery-bunkers-mac-pro configd[33]: InterfaceNamer: Busy services :

Oct 8 15:56:06 avery-bunkers-mac-pro configd[33]: InterfaceNamer: Aspire M5620 [1]

Oct 8 15:56:06 avery-bunkers-mac-pro configd[33]: InterfaceNamer: Aspire M5620/AppleACPIPlatformExpert [1]Oct 8 15:56:06 avery-bunkers-mac-pro configd[33]: InterfaceNamer: Aspire M5620

0/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0 [1]Oct 8 15:56:06 avery-bunkers-mac-pro configd[33]: InterfaceNamer: Aspire M5620/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI [1]

Oct 8 15:56:06 avery-bunkers-mac-pro configd[33]: InterfaceNamer: Aspire M5620/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/P0P2@1 [1]Oct 8 15:56:06 avery-bunkers-mac-pro configd[33]: InterfaceNamer: Aspire M562

0/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/P0P2@1/IOPCI2PCIBridge [1]Oct 8 15:56:06 avery-bunkers-mac-pro configd[33]: InterfaceNamer: Aspire M562

0/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/P0P2@1/IOPCI2PCIBridge/display@0 [1]

Oct 8 15:56:06 avery-bunkers-mac-pro configd[33]: InterfaceNamer: Aspire M5620/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/P0P2@1/IOPCI2PCIBridge/display@0/A

TIRadeonX2000 [1]Oct 8 15:56:06 avery-bunkers-mac-pro configd[33]: InterfaceNamer: Aspire M562

0/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/P0P2@1/IOPCI2PCIBridge/display@0/ATIRadeonX2000/IOService [2]

Oct 8 15:57:09 avery-bunkers-mac-pro loginwindow[22]: Login Window Started Security Agent

Oct 8 15:57:10 avery-bunkers-mac-pro authorizationhost[147]: MechanismInvoke 0x125760 retainCount 2

After I see that It sits there for a little while then I will get an all blue screen and it will sit there for about a minute then it will flash and the desktop will appear looking all fresh and clean and ready to rock... Then as I start playing around then I notice the blackouts and in some spots it just constant such as looking at the RSS Screensaver options it just constantly blanks out to a black screen and back to normal until I hit OK.... Also you can tell by looking at the logs the time lapse's... I do not know if you are expereincing the same issues.... I will reboot a few time and see if I start seeing the same issues on it not working at all....

UPDATE ::: I rebooted and plugged into VGA instead of DVI and that appears to have taken care of the Black Screen I was getting when going into allot of the options... When rebooting it appeared that the driver was going to crash as half the screen was all weird colored and the other half was the blue screen and as I was about to despair it came up with the wallpaper then flickered then the desktop... So there appears to be something buggy about DVI.... Going to try to reboot a few more times....

But you WERE getting QE/CI?

I'm still on 10.5.4 because I forgot to save the 10.5.5 update...I'll try your way soon :P .

Yes I was able to get QE/CI and I have rebooted numerous times without any issues using VGA and living thru the longer Startup Time.... It reminds me now of a Windows Machine booting :)... Thanks again so much for this find, the last thing for me is to get all 4 cores working and my machine will be good to go... Thanks.......Thanks..... Thanks.....

hi drumthrasher

months back i gave up getting my 3870 to work. only garbled screen or reboots.

even lastexile couldn´t help (does it sound familiar?)

well, i got it finally working ;)

"all" i had to do is changing the motherboard. somehow the combo AMD proc, nforce chipset

and ATI gfx did not work properly. now it is AMD/AMD(790x)/AMD and everything works fine.

hope this helps

zuz

YES! It works! But I haven't restarted yet ;) , and I'm kind of afraid to lol.

That's how I felt after I was trying to reinstall your driver listed and for the life of me they would not work until a reinstall of the OS.... So far today it has worked perfectly.... All the MacOS Coolness seems to be there (especially time machine gui effects, can't get enough of that)... I tried to play Halo earlier though and it had serious lag times where the game was not even playable so I will try another game and see how it goes... But gaming is the least of my worries at this time...