How to change kernel at boot?

notsnsone

5 posts in this topic

Can someone please tell me how I can switch back to my old kernel 9.2 speedstep on boot promt? Because I can't start mac because of the vanilla kernel installed. (so I have 2 kernels: vanilla and speedstep and I wanna use speedstep instead of vanilla)

mach_kernel.backup doesn't work for me. Any other sugestions? Because with the vanilla kernel, it won't boot further then Darwin boot because the pc makes a short and loud sound and restarts. I don't wanna reinstall the whole OS again

I"m using a Pentium D processor if it helps :D just updated from Kalyway 10.5.2 with speedstep kernel to 10.5.5 with combo pack..Did the script in terminal and replaced the line in /InstallAtStartup/Script/1 or whatever it was called. Then after i rebooted, it doesn't want to boot into the system. It gets to the darwin and when it was supposed to show the apple logo and the spinning thingy, it just makes a funny sound and restarts.. tried update -v -x and -v -f and it still doesn't work..I don't know what to do.

• 4 months later...

I have been using the netkas.org Method (worked for 5.2 -> 5.3 -> 5.4)

I am getting the same result (gray screen spinning disc) from updating to 10.5.5. I have tried everything. I think im on my 30th ghost and restart.

- I have boot every kernel in the kalyway install (vanillakernel, modbinkernel, sleepkernel, mach_kernel.voodoo)

The only way I can get the OS to boot is using the speedstepkernel -v -f -x However this boots up into safe mode.

When I run OSx86 Tools Utility it is showing my detected kernel as ToH 9.2.0. Since then I have tried rerunning the voodoo kernel installer which produced the same result (gray screen spinning disc).

I ran the all system maintenance options in OSx86 and I am still having the same issue.

Any ideas on how I can do a normal boot?

Thank You in advance,

Derek