ALC885 Audio not working well (P35C-DS3R)

Synthology

4 posts in this topic

Greetings all,

I am having a few problems getting the sound out correctly on my P35C-DS3R board. Does anyone have this problem with 10.5.5 Vanilla kernel?

I can't seem to find the solution. Everything else works great except for sound. I did my own Ubuntu Codec dump, but it gives me the same results.

I only get sound on the left channel randomly.

Please advise.

Thanks

Prof. Synthology

My codec dump, as well as others I have found labeled ALC889a all say ALC885 once I open it in text edit. I downloaded ~pcwiz gigabyte control center, but I'm not quite sure how to use it. Does anyone else have these problems? And if not, how were they solved. As stated before, my problems are only with the audio. Thanks again.

Prof. Synthology

After a bit of searching, I read that the sound problem might be a Chameleon Bootloader problem with the Vanilla 9.5.0 Kernel.

It seems to have problems with the correct FSB calculation, specifically with the ALC889a on this particular board. Can anyone else confirm that?

Also, for my information and trials, does anyone know the boot prompt command to load a kernel by a different name in my root directory? All the old kernel commands don't seem to be working with chameleon. At least the ones that worked with PCEFI V8 don't. I am trying to load voodoo beta kernel to see if that might fix my sound problem.

Thanks

I managed to fix my problem in a quite unusual way. I installed the following driver: CMI8738PCIAudioDriver.kext

For some reason, the audio worked just fine, without garbled sound. It used to sound doubled up and only on the left speaker channel.

This fixed it.

Side Notes: I have HDAEnabler.kext and properly patched AppleHDA.kext with my own Ubuntu 8.04 Linux ALC885.txt dump.

Removed ALCInject.kext

All works great now.

Cheers

CMI8738PCIAudioDriver Archive

Special Thanks to Prototype_SX for providing the link to this file, and for the heads up.