Second SATA drive not recognized

4 posts in this topic

I forgot to ask an important question with my dual-boot setup (Vista and Mac) on DELL Inspiron 530. The Mac OS is not recognizing the second SATA harddrive on the computer.

Is there anything I can do inside Mac OS to make it find that harddrive? It's a Seagate Barracuda 7200 1TB drive by the way.

Thanks!

Penn

I forgot to ask an important question with my dual-boot setup (Vista and Mac) on DELL Inspiron 530. The Mac OS is not recognizing the second SATA harddrive on the computer.

Is there anything I can do inside Mac OS to make it find that harddrive? It's a Seagate Barracuda 7200 1TB drive by the way.

Thanks!

Penn

It can depend on the kernel you are running along with the port it is connected too it was 10.5.3 before the 3rd and 4th connectors showed up on my install. So where is it connected, how is the drive formatted eg. ntfs,fat? Some details like this would be useful to have..

It can depend on the kernel you are running along with the port it is connected too it was 10.5.3 before the 3rd and 4th connectors showed up on my install. So where is it connected, how is the drive formatted eg. ntfs,fat? Some details like this would be useful to have..

Thank you for the reply! I am brand-new to the Mac world and no idea what you talking about. How do I find out what kernel I am running? And what port?

I used the iATKOS v1.0 DVD for the dual-boot install. Here is the instructions I followed:http://dailyapps.net/2008/03/hack-attack-dual-boot-leopard-and-windows-vista/

The Drive is formatted as NTFS. Where is it connected? It's SATA, so one of the 4 SATA connections on the motherboard.

Hope this helps! Thanks again!

Thank you for the reply! I am brand-new to the Mac world and no idea what you talking about. How do I find out what kernel I am running? And what port?

I used the iATKOS v1.0 DVD for the dual-boot install. Here is the instructions I followed:http://dailyapps.net/2008/03/hack-attack-dual-boot-leopard-and-windows-vista/

The Drive is formatted as NTFS. Where is it connected? It's SATA, so one of the 4 SATA connections on the motherboard.

Hope this helps! Thanks again!

Probably too old a kernel then to find out go into your Applications folder then Utilities scroll down until you see the Terminal app launch it then type in and hit the enter key uname -a to see output similar to this.

uname -a
Darwin macuser2525s-mac-pro.local 9.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.5.0: Wed Sep  3 11:29:43 PDT 2008; root:xnu-1228.7.58~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

This will tell you what version you are running with it being formatted ntfs then you will only be able to read it under OS X.