Mac Mini ir Board

El Massman

11 posts in this topic

i was wondering if someone could help me out. i've managed to get hold of one of the mac mini ir boards and am looking to wire it into a standard usb cable as it shows in the mini's system profiler as a usb device. my reckoning is that i will then be able to use an apple remote without software hacks. my first problem here is that there are only 3 wires coming out of the board. i was informed that usb takes 4? and secondly, they are all black. the wires are labeled 'v', 'i' and 'g'. if anyone has any idea what this corresponds to or how to wire it into a standard usb cable i would be most appreciative.

thanks in advance,

Marc

i was thinking to do stuff like that ( a custom board vs vs..)

i think 'v' is 'vcc' and its +5v

and 'g' is 'gnd' and its 0v (ground-usually black)

the one left 'i' must be data but i dont know if usb works with 1 data pin..

Maybe the card you've got is not a usb controller, just the sensor? could you send a high-res photo? i also wonder how does it look like.

thanks for the replies guys, i've tried every combination of the 4 wires i can think of. 24 possible right? but nothing. does anyone with knowledge of the mini know if maybe it connects to something else and that's where the usb controller is? i think this would be great to get working. i heard the macbook pro board works, someone posted wiring instructions but in that case there were 4 wires and they were coloured with standard usb colours. being stupid i bought the mini board thinking that because it was usb it would 'just work'. and because i've already cut the wire i can't now sell it on. i've uploaded a picture so maybe you can get a better idea of what we're dealing with.

thanks,

Marc

post-28247-1223589748_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
thanks for the replies guys, i've tried every combination of the 4 wires i can think of. 24 possible right? but nothing. does anyone with knowledge of the mini know if maybe it connects to something else and that's where the usb controller is? i think this would be great to get working. i heard the macbook pro board works, someone posted wiring instructions but in that case there were 4 wires and they were coloured with standard usb colours. being stupid i bought the mini board thinking that because it was usb it would 'just work'. and because i've already cut the wire i can't now sell it on. i've uploaded a picture so maybe you can get a better idea of what we're dealing with.

thanks,

Marc

sorry for late reply, your board is not a complete usb-ir-receiver, it is just the 'ir-receiver' part of it and it cannot work without a (usb) controller. so, you also need a controller part for it. it should have usb connections then. but i think it might be embedded to mainboard, what is a bad thing for you (and for us).

thanks furkanmustafa. i've given up at the moment and have gone back to using my ehome receiver with remote buddy. it's not exactly ideal but it's doing the job i need it to. i'm looking at taking the shell off and imbedding that in my pc case. it works through the black perspex at the top which is ideal. it just doesn't fit while still in the shell.

thanks for all the replies guys. but for the moment i'm going to give up on this.

Marc